• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified bird in Jersey (UK) (1 Viewer)

boddie

My friend recently visited Jersey (Chanel Is, not U.S) and came back having seen a bird. I will paste in exactly what he said, any ideas would be welcome. I have some opinions, but would like to hear yours first.

"A pair based on a sheer cliff face nestling on a rocky crevice

Above a quiet cove directly above the lovely sea

Fairly sizeable and quite plump

Browny in coloring

Almost like a hen pheasant

Clearly feeding a chick

Smaller than a buzzard but larger than most birds of prey (I think)

Triangle tail"

Good luck!

Right, I have never seen buzzards nesting on a cliff face. Personally I was thinking Great Skua, but maybe I have given him too much credit in thinking he'd know a buzzard easily.

Right, I have never seen buzzards nesting on a cliff face. Personally I was thinking Great Skua, but maybe I have given him too much credit in thinking he'd know a buzzard easily.
Agree with the buzzard suggestion - Great skuas breed on moorlands.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back