• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Brown Bird with Yellow and Green Wing Plumage | South-East UK (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

Toady I setup my trail camera in my woods behind the house and at 9am, a small brown bird landed on the suet feeder and had a good munch.
It seems to be about the size of a great tit, (attached image) and has green and yellow plumage on its wings.

Apologies for the bad image quality, as I had to zoom in the screen shots to focus the bird.
I will attach some screenshots and a Google Drive link to the full video of its visit.

Google Drive Link

UID SS.PNGUID SS 3.PNGUID SS 4.PNGUID SS 2.PNG

The only thing I can think of is perhaps some sort of warbler?

Thanks in advance,
Jake

I'm seeing a big, pink bill. Also, in the third photo below that's not a Robin's head shape in a head-on view. Where are the sunken eyes?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 38
I agree with Buttys comment nr. 10. But as every one knows, I like quiz-modus too.
As the pictures doesnt show much (nearly none, no offense as always) helpful features, I looked at the video: the bird shows the behaviour, flight style, approach to the feeder of a Robin. So I think it is one.

Edit: Sorry to Richard, I just read that you identified the bird already by the only relevant and trustable features, correctly imo

I have now watched the terrible, terrible video, and looked at the, even worse photographs. (No criticism implied, they are what they are)
It is definitely a Greenfinch as I knew it would be before I opened the post.
They breed outside my bedroom window, I see them all day everyday. (Robins also breed in the same place)

Thank you BH,
I looked at the video again and still see a Robin by behaviour and shape. I must admit I have never seen a Greenfich (regardless of age) that flicks its tail and wings like this bird here does (in the begining until about 0:07) but this action looks very good for a Robin (among other things like flight style ...)
But thats what I want to read here: I have seen so much Greenfinches, and I will look at them again much closer in the next days.

I think the large pinkish bill can well be some seed, but its impossible to be sure here.

Stung by astonishment to retract some of my righteous scepticism and grill the video again... I find it unbelievable that this could be thought to be a greenfinch (head/bill-shape, body-shape, posture, actions), and highly plausible that it could be (NB could be) a robin (head/bill-shape, body-shape, posture, actions).

I think the large pinkish bill can well be some seed, but its impossible to be sure here.
It would have to be fat to make it stick like that and I've never seen a Robin accumulate fat around it's bill like that. Besides, the fat in the feeder is not pink and the bill colour is quite consistent. Plus, anyone who has watched Greenfinches knows they are are messy eaters. So it could be fat - though I don't think it is. I'm very happy to accept that I might be wrong. I don't buy the artefact argument.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back