• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Unknown Bird Call, Turkey (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
soundcloud.com/kuzey-cem-kula-o-lu/unknown-call

Recorded on 2 Dec 2020. Ankara, Turkey.
Habitat: Wooded fringe of a small pond. Around the intersection of trees and a small reedbed. About 100m from water but there is an extremely small stream running through the leaf litter (about as wide as 15-20cm). Trees both coniferous and deciduous: small and medium-sized pines, poplars, and some other deciduous trees.
I have a suspect but don't want to influence anyone.
Thanks in advance.
soundcloud.com/kuzey-cem-kula-o-lu/unknown-call

Last edited:

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Interesting, I can just copy them link, paste it on the url bar and press enter. I'll try to upload it here directly.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Its very quiet! - Sounds a bit like the repetitive ‘kick’ call of a male Great Spotted Woodpecker to me - it would probably help to know how far away from you you think it was.

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Its very quiet! - Sounds a bit like the repetitive ‘kick’ call of a male Great Spotted Woodpecker to me - it would probably help to know how far away from you you think it was.
Great Spotted would be a rarity here. Syrian sounds similar to GSW but either way the bird was at most 10m away so the call is definitely too weak for either of those.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Great Spotted would be a rarity here.
I wouldn’t say that tbh scarce maybe but sightings of LSW are also quite thin.

GREAT-SPOTTED WOODPECKER
4729047F-1D2A-4BEF-8F17-78B66601AB75.jpeg
F09D3E12-AE58-457D-919B-2E3B7C10D129.jpeg

It certainly does sound like a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker also - However, If it was as close as 10 metres, I would also suggest you listen to the alert calls of a Blackbird perhaps. The recording is really to quiet for my hearing levels.

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
It's really more of a habitat thing than distribution. Generally in Anatolia GSW is found in higher altitude older mixed forests. It does breed in the forests that cover north and west of Ankara, but my location is south of Ankara with no suitable habitat. Syrian is much less selective in habitat requirements (like GSW is in W Europe).
You are right about the LSW, it is also scarce, but the habitat would fit and it breeds much much closer.

Users who are viewing this thread