• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird Isle of Vlieland; The Netherlands 20th and 21th of october (1 Viewer)

The call... recall a European Robin, but the song part is strange... can be a juvenile Robin learning to sing ? Just a guess.

That's a thrush-mix; playbacked at a ringing-track

I'm against playback, and strongly against ringing. I know, that's not the place to talk about that, but it is so depressing that birders, that should be among the first people to see how critical is the collapse of biodiversity, lose time in disturbing the birds instead of acting properly for conservation.

Tape luring is lazy birding and has no place if you call yourself a birder imo. Do the time and learn things it will be more satisfying in the end. It makes birds behave differently and more prone to predation.

The Golden rule is the welfare of the bird comes first - there are no other rules.

This does not benefit the bird conversely it increases pressure and although not relevant to my point is well outside the breeding season so do yourself and the bird a favour and desist.

Laurie:C

Fair enough but the points i make are valid imo - there can be a case made for conservation purposes, re-discovery or nocturnal species but use of tape-lures in general cannot be condond imho:t:

To reiterate - does your activity benefit the welfare or well-being of the bird?
If not then don’t do it - it really is quite a simple formula. Same with flushing and photography - they have enough presure without idiots degrading the scenario. If on a twitch you see something then say something.....i do or used to when i twitched.

Laurie -

Last edited:
I think this is an 'official' long term ringing station using playback to lure birds in - presume there is a national body governing its use in the Netherlands? (Understand ringing is fairly regulated?)

Don't know how much mix tapes are used in the UK at Bird Observatories these days, but they certainly used to be.

(As an aside, looking at the trektellen totals linked from that website, some good birds and a fair few retraps over the last month or two, eg RF Bluetail, 319 Goldcrest one day etc)

Last edited:
Fair comment - Bird Observatories are a law unto themselves but carry out a lot of good work imo:t:

I will forgive them the odd ringing tick from time to time;)

Laurie -

the thrush-mix is only very faint in the background. Only excellent hearing and very good ID skills should hear it.

But oh, you missed the Greenshank too.. nor Bluethroat in this recording.

the thrush-mix is only very faint in the background. Only excellent hearing and very good ID skills should hear it.

But oh, you missed the Greenshank too.. nor Bluethroat in this recording.

Out of interest, why did you post the recording in the first place? You knew it was a mix on a loop at a ringing station?

Okay, that explains some of the sounds and lure calls. As a recordist, can you isolate the call you are seeking an identification for? There is too much going on otherwise.
Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back