• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird (of prey?) South of Hungary, August 1988 (1 Viewer)

Frank-birding

Frank van de Velde
Supporter
In August 1988 I took the attached picture of a raptor (I think?) flying overhead. I used a 50-135 Canon zoomlens and Agfa slide film. It was in the South of Hungary, area Abaliget and Pécs. Although I'm afraid the image is way too small and grainy to ID the bird, it would be great if someone had an idea which kind of bird it was.

Regards, Frank

Attachments

• 1988_Hongarije_Pecs_STD6717_crop.jpg
    1988_Hongarije_Pecs_STD6717_crop.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 52
Hello Tom,

Thank you for helping me here! Either Pallid or Montagu’s was my impression too. Based on silhouette only though; I wasn’t able to match the ‘colours’ (insofar as they can be judged from my miserable image...) to the ID. Also, I was afraid I was imagining things, and was looking at a completely different bird… Probably not fortunately :)

Montagu's would be the most likely option then I think, due to geographical area.

Bye, Frank

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back