• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird, pictures included (Oregon, USA) (1 Viewer)

bloveall

I was camping with my dad in the Coast Range Mountains of Oregon this last week and we were identifying birds (in the morning). Here is an montage image made up of eight pictures I took of a certain bird we couldn't identify.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8191/birdidentityjuly15th201.jpg

Eventually, by surprise, a Band-tailed pigeon stole its perch. Here is a picture of the pigeon in the same spot for size comparison.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9458/20100715014.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help!

-Brandon

You know...ironically, the "Oregon" Junco is my favorite bird. I see them all over when camping, making the little click sounds. We both questioned if it was a junco, but passed because it looked a bit big and its neck too slender. It truly does look to be a junco, though...unless there is a bird that shares similar coloration to the male Dark-eyed junco.
:)

I looked at this last night and I know of no other bird there that would have that black head coloration and markings all around. But it appears it was 'stretched out' eh? Odd looking or at least the camera angle is.

Juncos at this time of the year will be up in colder climates so the coastal range should have em, not low though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back