• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Bird (species ?) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what a surprise! Bang on cue the self-professed expert and renowned rarity fabricator pops his head above the parapet; I wondered how long it would be! My 'contributions' do tend to be rational and based on experience, whereas ...

Would you like to compare ''experiences'' (accepted records...in the real world) as opposed to this two dimensional game of point scoring?

I might suggest we do it privately to spare your embarrassment on the public stage...or we could do it in public....choice is yours?

I assume some early posts were deleted(?), and don't wish to impede the current contratemps, but I have to admit to leaning towards some kind of young duck sp. on the photos supplied.

Ooops, I almost forgot the propensity for a certain clique of posters to this forum to engage in their sophisticated 'nudge & wink' schoolboy japes every so often - silly me!

:smoke:Last photo; must be the red wine, reminds me of a toy rabbit eating some tripe
Cheers,
Jono

There are plenty of shrikes in the UK, albeit not the most abundant birds here. Most decent birders would know a red-backed/woodchat/g. grey shrike if they saw one, all three of those rare but regular, and we've had many others in the past.

Many people travel as well, so I'd hardly say the UK is "unfit" for making a comment on a shrike ID.

Even I've seen a shrike and I don't travel too far. Haven't left Yorkshire in years. Could the original post have been a wind up attempt?

Inspector Bach has looked at the Dutch site the OP quotes and, whilst they've a record of his existence, I can't see any reference to these particular photos. (His second post - the offensive one - implies he's posted these images on that site but this mere islander can't find them.)

Whether all this is a hoax or not remains to be seen but I thought I'd enter into the spirit of his enquiry with the enclosed. It's the only image I have, SO DON'T TELL ME IT'S TOO SMALL AND DON'T TELL ME IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO IDENTIFY.

Anna Magdalena thinks I should get out more......

Peter

Attachments

• Bird.jpg
    Bird.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 161
Even I've seen a shrike and I don't travel too far. Haven't left Yorkshire in years. Could the original post have been a wind up attempt?

This is most certainly an attempt by certain posters to stir up a little unrest to satisfy their bizarre sense of humour - if it warrants that name. It happens every so often and sometimes its hard to see it coming until the fallout!

Inspector Bach has looked at the Dutch site the OP quotes and, whilst they've a record of his existence, I can't see any reference to these particular photos. (His second post - the offensive one - implies he's posted these images on that site but this mere islander can't find them.)

Whether all this is a hoax or not remains to be seen but I thought I'd enter into the spirit of his enquiry with the enclosed. It's the only image I have, SO DON'T TELL ME IT'S TOO SMALL AND DON'T TELL ME IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO IDENTIFY.

Anna Magdalena thinks I should get out more......

Peter

Huh! That's easy. 2nd winter hermaphrodite Hollow Chocolate Bunny of the Apocalypse. :t:

Straight in to the Birdforum 'top 10 threads ever'...

Well, I dunno ... "top 10 looniest threads ever" perhaps.

PC

(Begging your pardon ... I suppose in order not to offend the delicate sensitivities of "islanders", I should have written "top 10 diveriest threads ever.")

Peter

Huh! That's easy. 2nd winter hermaphrodite Hollow Chocolate Bunny of the Apocalypse. :t:

Not bad Chris, but only half a cigar. It's actually an 8th winter (note the sheen on the malar coverts).

Peter :smoke:

Would you like to compare ''experiences'' (accepted records...in the real world) as opposed to this two dimensional game of point scoring?

I might suggest we do it privately to spare your embarrassment on the public stage...or we could do it in public....choice is yours?

What a vulgar expression of anger & frustration! I feel neither the need nor even the slightest inclination to 'prove' myself to you, of all contributors to this forum. I deplore the competitive, train-spotting mentality of many of today's younger, so-called birders who blithely & authoritatively air their identifications of 'difficult' species based on dodgy digital images while declaring their latest 'lifer' to be Stonechat or similar! I have nothing against you personally Rob, it just irks me - and it really shouldn't - that you tend to 'see' a rarity in almost every image that appears on the forum, regardless of the fact that often it so obviously isn't! I may be growing old before my time but I find all this one-upmanship a little tiresome. Rarity-hunting? Been there & done it. I'll retire with a nice mug of cocoa - goodnight all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back