• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Foliage-gleaner, West-slope Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Daan van der hoeven

Good evening you all

Here is a foliage-gleaner I saw on Ecuadors West slope Mindo in 2019. 1400 m alt.
Doesn't seem to mach ruddy or lineated.
Maybe a wierd scale-breasted?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• unknown id  foliage gleaner.jpg
    unknown id foliage gleaner.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
I may be completely off, but could this be a Woodcreeper such as Wedge-billed? There is something off with the shape of the head for foliage-gleaner I feel.

Niels

I may be completely off, but could this be a Woodcreeper such as Wedge-billed? There is something off with the shape of the head for foliage-gleaner I feel.

Niels
Agree with the train of thought but couldn't make it fit either a woodcreeper or barbtail. It seems to be moulting... (bill shape wrong for wedge-billed woodcreeper)

I can't really see any reason why this isn't a Lineated Foliage-gleaner. The posture makes the throat look rather weird but the pronounced, narrow streaking and lack of markings around the eye (which RW Barbtail has) are a good fit for Lineated. Certainly not a Woodcreeper (posture, lack of spines on end of tail feathers etc).

I can't really see any reason why this isn't a Lineated Foliage-gleaner. The posture makes the throat look rather weird but the pronounced, narrow streaking and lack of markings around the eye (which RW Barbtail has) are a good fit for Lineated. Certainly not a Woodcreeper (posture, lack of spines on end of tail feathers etc).
I think I'd reluctantly come to the same conclusion. The lack of a pale throat was the big issue. Less troubling were the bill shape (it seems thin) and the weird orangy underparts. The latter at least still fit:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/2...1.1772548490.1617168087-1453856678.1559597776

It also looks like a foliage-gleaner to me. My vote would be for Lineated FG as well. I had a look on eBird to check against the Ecuadorian species I'm not familiar with and couldn't make anything else fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back