• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Unknown Geese: Cackling Goose x Barnacle Goose? Netherlands (Purmerend) (1 Viewer)

Frank-birding

Frank van de Velde
Supporter
An hour ago (11:15 Dutch time 1st of September) I saw these two small geese on a very small field between houses in the Dutch town of Purmerend.
Both not ringed. Both very tame (walked right up to me). Probably male and female due to small difference in size and in the size of neck and head.

Could these be Cackling Goose x Barnacle Goose hybrids?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Frank

Attachments

• IMG_5403.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5408.jpg
    IMG_5408.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5417.jpg
    IMG_5417.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5422.jpg
    IMG_5422.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5425.jpg
    IMG_5425.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Joern Lehmhus

I´d agree with Steve here, on bill length and general structure they look more like Barnacle goose x Canada goose (note that such hybrids are fertile so it needn´t be a first generation cross).
You say they were small, any size comparison possible with other waterfowl?

Frank-birding

Frank van de Velde
Supporter
Thank you Steve and Joern for replying to my post! Barnacle x Canada seems the most likely ID indeed. I would estimate them to be Barnacle sized and not larger. Much smaller than either Canada Goose or Greylag in any case.
Interesting that hybrids like these "find" one another, they must be rare and were obviously paired.

Thanks again, Frank

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread