• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Unknown small bird today Nova Scotia Canada (1 Viewer)

wonderview

Not my photo, someone passed it on to me wondering what it is. It's a young fledgling bird. I have no idea what this is either, I have never seen anything quite like it.. So far this is the only photo available to me. Any guesses appreciated. unknown bird.jpg

Andy Hurley

All nations have the right to govern themselves
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
It is still very young and the full wing feather pattern has not yet developed?

BTW Butty, you may notice that you are very aggressive in "correcting" what I have written on several treads this lunchtime. You have a habit of this and I ask to tone it down. The op asks for guesses and there is an "I think", going by comparisons in "Birds of Atlantic Canada" by Roger Burrows that I bought before a Newfoundland trip a few years ago

Last edited:

Butty

I know nothing about the moult regime of blue-headed vireo, but it would be unusual if greater and median coverts were entirely replaced in post-juvenile moult.

wonderview

Thanks guys. Could it be a Red Eyed Vireo youngster? I found an article with a photo of a REV fledgling and it looks very similar to me. The snow white breast of the youngster in the original photo led me in this direction. jp-redeyedvireo-fledgling.jpg

Butty

Given how nestlings/juveniles can change during development, I would say yes it's possible. But, again, I have no knowledge of the plumages of these species at this age.

wonderview

Thanks. Also I'm not sure the colours from their camera phone image are very true so that makes it even more difficult. They happened to mention that they spotted an adult tending to this youngster later on so I will send them a photo of an adult REV and see if it rings a bell with them. Once again thanks for your help.

Andy Hurley

All nations have the right to govern themselves
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
The two species that breed in Nova Scotia are Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireo, so REV is certainly possible or even probable. Both bird have similarities, but also a few differences.
I think
in favour of REV: The beginnings of an olive cheek, supecillium reaches behind the eye, no apparent wing bars
in favour of BHV: The amount of grey and yellow in wings

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread