• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Unknown Tern, Hainan, China (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

I'm assuming this is a tern but don't have any experience with these birds. Not sure that the pictures are good enough for an ID but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• tern1.jpg
    tern1.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 40
  • tern2.jpg
    tern2.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 23
  • tern3.jpg
    tern3.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 20
  • tern4.jpg
    tern4.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 27
  • tern5.jpg
    tern5.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 31

Alexander Stöhr

I agree with Pedro, plese note:
the right head pattern with dark patch centered to the rear head, reaching far down the neck and lacking a white sourrunding to the eye. More, dark area at crown is extensive and washed out.
These features together produce a Whiskered Tern head pattern, and the large stot bill, the really dark grey tail and dark uppertailcoverts leaving just a small whitish rump patch confirms identification and excludes most similar White-winged Tern IMO.

Remaining juvenile feathers on upperparts are also good for a Marsh Tern, but I couldnt exclude WWT on this feature.

Last edited:

Hainan on the fly

I agree with Pedro, plese note:
the right head pattern with dark patch centered to the rear head, reaching far down the neck and lacking a white sourrunding to the eye. More, dark area at crown is extensive and washed out.
These features together produce a Whiskered Tern head pattern, and the large stot bill, the really dark grey tail and dark uppertailcoverts leaving just a small whitish rump patch confirms identification and excludes most similar White-winged Tern IMO.

Remaining juvenile feathers on upperparts are also good for a Marsh Tern, but I couldnt exclude WWT on this feature.

Excellent! Thanks Alexander. This detailed description is very helpful.

Brian

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread