• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unkown visitor to my feeder in New England. (1 Viewer)

Hello. I have been birding for about 5 years now, I live in North East CT. There was a bird under one of my feeders at about 8am today, that I have never seen before in this area. At first glance it looked like a European Starling, but it was all by itself. After looking through binoculars it had a black body with subtle thick white vertical stipes and a solid black head. It also had short dark legs. I do not recall the color of the beak. I have looked through all my bird books for the U.S and can not identify it. Thought maybe it was just migrating through? Any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Sorry I can’t help with your query.

Nothing comes to mind at the moment but I'm sure there will be some suggestions shortly.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

It sounds like a European Starling. Was there something about the bird that made you think it was not one?

It sounds like a European Starling. Was there something about the bird that made you think it was not one?
At first i thought maybe it was a juvenille, but all the pics i saw did not confirm that. It was about the same size as a starling, but the only colors on it where black and white. The hundreds of starlings I have observed although look black from afar, have green, purple and yellow in their feathers. Also the starlings do not have a solid black cap and their feet are yellow. The feet on this bird were like a dark grey.

Hi thefinchlady and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back