• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untangle my mind please! (1 Viewer)

Hi guys thanks for the responses to clear up glass wearing I am mildly short-sighted and do sometimes use contacts. Someone I know has said they are prepared to sell their old Swarovski EL 10X42 for 800 pound, its on the upper end of the budget but I hear nothing but good things about the EL range so presume that this is a decent deal?

If I was in his shoes, I would use the best tools for the job.......and if I was asked to ID birds, I would use the bins that delivered the highest resolution. So, in MY opinion, that would not be a handheld, non-IS bin.
Then why not the Canon 10x42?

It has a 10x magnification, enough distance for most people who wear glasses, a large FOV and enough EP to see something even in the twilight, and better optics, only the size, weight and price are a bit annoying, but that was also a bit higher with your options.

Andreas

Hi guys thanks for the responses to clear up glass wearing I am mildly short-sighted and do sometimes use contacts. Someone I know has said they are prepared to sell their old Swarovski EL 10X42 for 800 pound, its on the upper end of the budget but I hear nothing but good things about the EL range so presume that this is a decent deal?
If you are only “mildly short-sighted” and you have no significant astigmatism, why not use the binocular without your glasses?

I guess its just the habit of keeping them on to look for movement as i am walking the transects, no real reason when I am stopping
This is exactly why many eyeglass wearers want to keep their glasses on, not changing glasses can be precious time missing a bird.

Andreas

Cost ...... This is getting close to double his budget.
No idea, here in Germany the 10x42 don't cost 1600,- pounds.
Also, that's exactly why I suggested the Conquest 10x42, the price would have been right.

Doesn't matter now, the questioner has now found a good binocular.

Andreas

Someone I know has said they are prepared to sell their old Swarovski EL 10X42 for 800 pound, its on the upper end of the budget but I hear nothing but good things about the EL range so presume that this is a decent deal?
Bear in mind that the original 10x42 EL had really miserable eye relief. This was the version with the black metal surfaces on the insides of the barrels.
The Swarovision and Field Pro ELs are a completely different optical design with flat field and excellent eye relief.
I have one of the earlier Swarovisions with 81 as the first two digits of the serial no. (2011 manufacture), so anything equal or higher could be recommended.

John

May I suggest Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32? For around £800 they give a sterling performance and since in Cyprus you have almost no twilight (doesn't it go from daylight to dark very quickly?) a 32mm would not disadvantage you. But the winning aspect of these binos is their fast focusing speed, about twice as fast as Zeiss's own SFs so you can focus onto a distant bird (egret/harrier/heron?) and then back to a nearby warbler and not miss anything by having to pump a slow-acting focusing wheel.

Good luck with your choice.

Lee

May I suggest Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32? For around £800 they give a sterling performance and since in Cyprus you have almost no twilight (doesn't it go from daylight to dark very quickly?) a 32mm would not disadvantage you. But the winning aspect of these binos is their fast focusing speed, about twice as fast as Zeiss's own SFs so you can focus onto a distant bird (egret/harrier/heron?) and then back to a nearby warbler and not miss anything by having to pump a slow-acting focusing wheel.

Lee
I'd also have a look at the Swaro Habicht in 10x40 (it also comes in 8x): I prefer that to the Conquest HD (I have both). It is lighter, both in weight and view.
Just to complicate things😄

Lee
Thanks mate something to consider and yes its either light or dark here!

Bear in mind that the original 10x42 EL had really miserable eye relief. This was the version with the black metal surfaces on the insides of the barrels.
The Swarovision and Field Pro ELs are a completely different optical design with flat field and excellent eye relief.
I have one of the earlier Swarovisions with 81 as the first two digits of the serial no. (2011 manufacture), so anything equal or higher could be recommended.

John
Not something I have considered and it might be a deal breaker as i have committed yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back