• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual cardinal behavior (1 Viewer)

Vance

I live in the coastal region of S.C., about twenty miles inland of Charleston. I keep my garage door open all day since I work in my garage, going in an out all day long. It is usually about dusk or a little later that I will close down garage door for the night, and for the last three nights when I went into the garage (and before I closed the garage door) about an hour before dark, I encountered a male cardinal flying from one place to another, back and forth in the garage. He is obviously distressed because I came into the garage and he continued to fly back and forth for quite a while, keeping an eye on me all the time. At night, I have been keeping the back door open so he can go in an out. Now, the weather is very nice this time of year so he is not seeking warmth, and it is outside the nesting season. He is not in the garage at all during the day, just late in the evening or at night. Can anyone tell me why he would come into the garage each evening? He acts like a wren or something with a nest inside, but I just don't know what to make of this. There is also no food source for him that I know of.

Hi again Vance. Just for the hell of it did you check all the upper rafters in your garage for anything that looks like a nest.

Believe it or not but our weather has been so warm and I have a pair of Bluebirds nesting in the nest box.

Re: cardinal

I had not thought of that, but it has been awfully warm. It didn't occur to me that it might be a late nesting. He does seem to fly back and forth to one particular area so I will check that out tomorrow. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back