• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual growth on Med Gulls (1 Viewer)

Mark Newsome

Born to seawatch...
Any idea what this growth is on these Med Gulls? One photo taken on 3 August and one on 11 November, but could be the same bird involved. I have also seen photos of a Black-headed Gull with an almost identical attachment (in Norway). I've never noticed it myself on any gull species previously, so presumably it must be fairly uncommon.

Any ideas what causes it and if it continues to grow?

Mark

Attachments

• 130811.JPG
    130811.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 110911.JPG
    110911.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 151
Is it a growth or a worm-like parasite?

I never got the impression the appendage was moving, like a parasite. I would have also thought it odd that a parasite would be part outside the body. But if the photos are of the same bird, it has clearly grown/changed shape.
Here's the photo of a Black-headed Gull with the same condition, taken by Adam Williams at Roker on 31 August. When I tracked down the ringing details for this bird, the image of the bird in the hand at the time of ringing (May 2009) showed it as present then. So I guess its not something in the water in the Roker/Whitburn area...

Maybe someone who rings gulls on a regular basis could have the answer.

Mark

Attachments

• tn_098.JPG
    tn_098.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 108
Fascinating to have photographs of two birds with the same condition ,but how can they function effectively with the tongue as it were trapped , I tried to swallow while holding my tongue (literally not metaphorically ) and it is very difficult, swallowing food and water you would think would be impossible !!
I must check gulls more closely
Brian

Very interesting, I really should take more notice of my own photo's i hadnt even noticed.
I can see especially in the Med Gull pics that it could be the tongue but as Brian said you would think that would make it very difficult for them to survive.

Last edited:
Heres a couple of shots from September 24th of the Med. gull at Whitburn. Thanks for the tip off Brian about this thread.:t:

Attachments

• IMG_2846 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2846 (Medium).JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2853 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2853 (Medium).JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back