• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual weather in UK (1 Viewer)

Yes, I fear you're right and we must agree to disagree. I'll continue to base my case on what the qualified, expert scientists tell me in peer reviewed studies and you can cleave to the mythology pumped out in non-peer reviewed articles in the press by non-expert, often non-scientists like the discredited Lord Monckton.

Actually an increase in the frequency of flooding and violent storms was predicted by climate change models and for reasons that are very simple to understand. As for Michael Mann's 'hockey stick' the most instructive lesson to be drawn is not only how ably he defended his thesis, but also the dreadful level of 'monstering' (inc. death threats!) he has been subjected to simply for following the science.

I've not a shred of doubt that you are determined and honest person who wants to do the 'right thing' (probably more so than me) which is why it pains me to see you so grievously misled by charlatans and worse. I've looked at both sides and repeatedly found sources promoted by 'denialists' simplistic and shot through with error (which persists despite being corrected multiple times). I challenge you to watch the excellent rebuttals of the anti-global warming position posted by Potholer 54 (http://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54) and still believe in the garbage spewed out by the anti-science lobby. In turn I'll happily watch anything you suggest (although I suspect I've already seen much of it).

Sadly John, the gentleman has failed even to understand the simplest of jokes about the fact that he is posting essentially alone and his opposition consists of at least three of us (in democratic terms that consititutes a landslide.... ;)) I think the biggest problem is the absence of a sense of humour, in all my life I have found no other sense in those lacking that one.

John

Sadly John, the gentleman has failed even to understand the simplest of jokes about the fact that he is posting essentially alone and his opposition consists of at least three of us (in democratic terms that consititutes a landslide.... ;)) I think the biggest problem is the absence of a sense of humour, in all my life I have found no other sense in those lacking that one.

John

No other sense eh? What a stupid quote but hey reading some of your other assertions on other threads you hardly come across as someone with a giant intellect.As for your sense of humour, what's the saying sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, so well done you.
Maybe you should start modifying your behaviour then pal, or are you just someone that thinks we have a problem but that it's up to others help combat it whilst you go about your usual shit

Last edited:
http://feeds.theguardian.com/c/3470...uk0Emild0Ewinter0Ewoodland0Etrust/story01.htm
Signs of spring appear early across UK
Environment news, comment and analysis | guardian.co.uk|Adam Vaughan

But there is heavy winter from Wednesday in Warsaw - with deep snow approx. from tonight.

From the link above:
2014 fits into the trend over recent years of traditional harbingers of spring arriving early because of rising UK temperatures. British flowers came out between two and 12 days earlier in the past quarter century than in any previous 25-year period, and the seasonal timing of reproduction has shifted forward by around 11 days between 1976 and 2005, previous research has shown.
This merely shows the cunning of these global warming hoaxers - they've found a way of fixing figures accumulated over decades (some long before it was an issue) by those with no direct interest in (financial or otherwise), or even knowledge of, global warming to provide data to support their claims.

Meanwhile in the UK the rain continues, flooding alerts have increased and I haven't had to scrape ice off my car more than 4 times this winter so far (First is usually around October). The weather forecasters can't pridict what is going to happen here tomorrow yet with any certainty although I notice they forecast winds from the East on Sunday. Will that be the beginning of 'winter' and a waxwing invasion as last?

For myself I am on the fence over Global Warming or Climate Change, my wife does not believe it is as simple as the pro lobby say and I have to agree to an extent as there are climatic cyles also in operation as well as CO2 and these are possibly the least understood part of the climate model.

If climatic cycles do cause an increase in Earth's overall temperature then there is b****r all any one can do about it so renewable energy will not circumvent the matter.

If climatic cycles cause the Earth to get colder then the climatic reasons for renewable energy are again void.

Renewable energy seems ot be a costly thing anyway and in the UK at least we are building more than renewable energy can cover. I also have to say that like Minto, i hate windfarms. To quote the late Tom Sharpe - A Blot on the Landscape and mostly useless.

I challenge you to watch the excellent rebuttals of the anti-global warming position posted by Potholer 54 (http://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54) and still believe in the garbage spewed out by the anti-science lobby. In turn I'll happily watch anything you suggest (although I suspect I've already seen much of it).

I just want to thank you for drawing my attention to these John. I've been working my way though them all day.

Personally if the world is heating up due to human activity affecting "natural" climate cycles I'm happy.

The historical evidence would suggest we would be due a mini-ice age without human induced climate change. Remember all the warnings from the 60's and 70's about the imminent return of the ice-age.

An ice-age would pose us many more problems. Humans have e.g. only constantly inhabited the uk for around 12-15,000 years.

An ice-age even if relatively short-lasting would affect the whole of the northern hemi-sphere.Humans and the rest of the natural world.

I'd rather be warm and wet than frozen solid.

"It's gonna be hot and wet! That's nice if you're with a lady, but it ain't no good if you're in the jungle."

Last edited:
It is not going be a jungle, because length of the day is shorten in north. Plants from south probably need more light. What suggests extinction of many species.
There is moderate rain in Warsaw, but snow remains not melted still. The weather forecasts show sometimes the same precipitations as snowing, othertimes as rain, dependently on model used. So this is something intermediate between winter and spring/autumn. The weather can't take decision what to do this winter (so far at least).

It is not going be a jungle, because length of the day is shorten in north. Plants from south probably need more light. What suggests extinction of many species.

Just like to point out that in summer day is longer in the North.... it is year-round consistent day length that makes tropical jungle.

John

Oh no! "Scientist says" a new Ice Age cometh.

Oh dear... :cat:

Has the Telegraph ever got a science story right? I recall some academic survey of the performance of newspapers in accurately reporting scientific findings/news which found the Telegraph and Mail had a very poor performance in this regard.

The link is from the Express quoting the BBC - can you read?

I think John was citing a survey of science stories in the Telegraph and Mail: the Express isn't much better. In the more enlightened past, all these papers had science correspondents who had science backgrounds and whose articles discussed the science in rational fashion rather than as an endless series of pub arguments. Nonetheless, thanks for drawing attention to that sneering and point-scoring Express misrepresentation.:t:
MJB

The link is from the Express quoting the BBC - can you read?
Apologies for mis-remembering the particular newspaper concerned. Unfortunately, the Express has a similarly poor reputation in this regard. Indeed this story is a good example of the paper’s tendency to put its own spin and exaggeration on science stories. In the original BBC report the scientist comments that “within about 40 years or so there is a 10% to 20% - nearer 20% - probability that we'll be back in Maunder Minimum conditions” and the article is hedged by a number of caveats. The Maunder Minimum was a period of cold winters which, as the BBC article comments, is sometimes called a “mini-Ice Age”; this, of course is a long way from being an ‘Ice Age’ as it is popularly understood. However, the Express conveniently drops the ‘mini-‘ and translates this into an alarmist headline reading - Ice age on the way as scientists fear the Sun is 'falling asleep’ and an opening sentence that reads “A new ice age could be on its way to Europe after scientists warned of an alarming fall in the performance power of the Sun.” Unfortunately, as research shows people only tend to remember headlines and the opening few lines of such articles, the damage is done. The whole tone of the article is less measured and nuanced than the BBC’s original. It is not unsurprising that a brief look on the internet shows that this story has been taken up and willfully distorted by climate change deniers. So, yes, even if I sometimes mis-remember which rightwing scientifically challenged newspaper published the story, I can read. Can you be polite?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back