• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Up the Hill (1 Viewer)

Gosh it was windy today - I could hardly stand up! But bright and sunny whilst I was up there.

It's Heron season I think - there were 3 on the loch. I presume they're feeding on the frog/toad spawn - there's loads of it.

No Oycs today and only faintly heard a distant Curlew. Five Common Gulls, two seen mating, and two sleepy lack-headed Gulls. The Dabchicks were busy feeding, no sign of the Moorhens yet - strange thought they would have arrived by now.

The Pied Wagtail has been joined by a mate and there were at least 10 Meadow Pipits in.

The first picture shows where the gorse used to be - now been ploughed up. All that's left now is a thin strip lining the other side of the road. A shame for the small birds like Linnets and Reed Buntings which used to breed in this area. Other than that, there's just the odd bush here and there.

T'other picture is one of the Mipits, in case you can't see it;)

D

Attachments

• Gorse gonebf.jpg
    Gorse gonebf.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Meadow Pipitbf.jpg
    Meadow Pipitbf.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 76
Bit warm this weekend, isn't itB :)

I didn't have the excitements the Kinnordy lot got, but things are returning to the hill now.

First heard a single Willow Warbler, but couldn't find it. There used to be around 6 territories along the gorse-lined road - we'll have to see what happens now.

A Buzzard was patrolling and being chased around by assorted corvids. Later it joined up with another and did a bit of a display for me. At least seven Curlews were around. Meadow Pipits are now singing merrily, only heard one Skylark (briefly), even though I walked up onto the moor to where they usually nest in the long grass. A lovely pair of Wheatears were up there.

Four Oystercatchers now, rooting around about the loch, accompanied by a singleton Starling!

The two Dabchicks were busy feeding and calling, so I presume she's not on eggs as yet. Still no sign of Moorhens though.

D

Recently I met the farmer's wife for this old patch of mine and she said that the Hen Harriers had returned (they disappeared after the windfarm was constructed on 'their' hill!)

So I spent a little while up there the other day. Very disappointing.... hardly a bird was seen or even heard.

The sum total was 1 Meadow Pipit and a couple of Barn Swallows.

No sign of Little Grebe or Moorhen on the lochan. No Skylarks, not a Curlew calling nor any Oystercatchers around and not even any gulls.

I'm hearing the waders on the coast Delia, I reckon breeding is over and birds are moving down to cooler places, thing is I hope they are not moving towards the bird flu that seems to be more coastal at the moment.

It really should only be the failed breeders that go early to the coast. Those that have successfully bred should still be up here until their young are ready to make the journey.

I've never been up there with so little to see/hear, except in the depths of winter.

It's very sad, isn't it.

Another thing; around this time a telegraph wire up there was covered with a long line of fledged Swallows waiting to be fed. Yesterday there were two!!

Was out with a friend today and spent our lunch break sitting beside the loch (in the car as there was a rather cold wind.

There were three Whooper Swans, looking quite contented with each other. Previously I've only seen the odd one during migration times, so rather strange to see three of them. Also on the water was a Little Grebe, a male Mallard (no sign of a female, so maybe on a nest) and a Moorhen at the top end. Suddenly a female Goosander flew in, followed after a few minutes by a male. Last saw Goosander in 2009, at around the same time of year.... late March/early April.

Several corvids about and also a few Linnets. It was lovely to hear a Skylark singing.

Hoping to maybe get back there more regularly again. Will have to see.

LOL I'll try KC. I'd made one or two attempts to visit, but unfortunately there were noisy people there messing about in boats!

So a bit off-putting to say the least.... even the birds thought so 'cos they'd all deserted.

Last edited:
We spent a couple of hours on my Patch this afternoon.

For May, there wasn't an awful lot to see and it was cold and dull! However, we did have some nice sightings. A pair of Moorhens and Mallard were on the lochan, sadly no sight nor sound of Little Grebe. The Whooper Swans from the last visit had departed, as expected.

Skylarks were singing and a very flighty Pied Wagtail teased us into thinking we could get a picture of him. However, a Meadow Pipit and Yellowhammer were rather more co-operative.

They let the cattle out onto the hill after the long winter inside and the farmer reported that he'd seen a Grey Heron at the far end of the loch this morning.

Over the years of my absence, someone had been busy planting daffodil bulbs in the verge... must have been about a mile of them and they seem to now be working their way back down the other side too! I know they're not 'wild' but it does look pretty, especially on such a dull day.

Attachments

• Meadow Pipit.jpg
    Meadow Pipit.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Yellowhammer.jpg
    Yellowhammer.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • BF Daffodils.jpg
    BF Daffodils.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
I've been keeping an looking in on this patch more recently of late.

On 12 November there were 4 Whooper Swans (a Patch record), so kept going back to see how long they'd stay. 12 February came round and not 4 but 6 of them!!! Now that really pleased me.

So had to go back today to see if they were still there... and my goodness, they'd Doubled!!!!

I wonder if that record will ever get beaten LOL

Apart from them a few (think 5) Mallard flew off.

There was a large flock of Chaffinch (maybe other species too, but that was all I could see) were flying about round the junction to Bridge of Cally on the Tullymurdoch road, but very little moving up towards the windfarm apart from corvids.

Things moved on with the Whooper count... we finally had 14 on the 5th March and they stayed a few weeks/

8th March:
On the way up I said I bet they'd all gone, Ken said there'd be 10. Both wrong LOL. There were actually 6. Along with 8 Mallard (4 of each). New arrivals in a single Little Grebe and Moorhen; a Mistlethrush stopped briefly.

12th March:
Our guesses this were None and 4. Both wrong. Still 6 Whooper Swans, now a pair of Moorhens and only 4 Mallard now.

15 March:
Still 6 Whooper Swans . Also 4 Mallard, 2 Moorhens, Mallards remain at 4 but now we have a pair of Little Grebes (that always makes me very happy). And then we saw a couple of Stonechats. Spring seems to be kicking off up the hill now, as we also heard a Curlew sadly couldn't see him.

A pair of Oystercatchers were in a field on slightly lower ground, so they could be back soon too.

Attachments

• BF Thread 6 Whooper 18 February 2024.jpg
    BF Thread 6 Whooper 18 February 2024.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • BF Thread 14 Whooper 5 March 2024.jpg
    BF Thread 14 Whooper 5 March 2024.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 3
The cold wet, windy weather of the last week or so seemed to send everything run for cover.

The Little Grebe disappeared last week, but was back on the 26th. The Whooper Swans have been having games with us. The six have remained, however, the first visit last week there was no sign of them when we first arrived, so all that was there were half a dozen Mallard and the Moorhens. But suddenly they flew in doing a circuit of the water before landing!

The next visit there was no sign at all sadly. But a Pied Wagtail entertained us as we had our lunch. The seem to be around for us most of the time. A first sighting for the year in Red Kite on the Patch, sadly didn't manage a picture. This was only the second time seeing one there, the previous sighting was in the Autumn last year.

We were back on Tuesday, as were the 6 Whoopers, so I wonder where they went and.... how long will they stay? And pleased to say could just make out 1 Little Grebe at the far end of the lochan. When we first arrived, I heard a Skylark singing, one long burst of his song and that was it for the session sadly.

What is also interesting is (just outside the Patch) at a cottage with garden feeders there was a few Tree Sparrows. I've never seen them at this site before. There's really only a small clump of evergreens over the road, apart from a few small garden-type trees on the property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back