• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Update to Merlin birding app, adding song recognition (1 Viewer)

radix023

United States
I've had good success using Merlin to ID birds by photo, now they have expanded it to add birdsong recognition.

Having just updated, I have not yet had an opportunity to test this new feature, but once I do I will report back.

Hi, am new to the forum but also have started using the new Merlin addin and not impressed. I have tried perhaps 6-7 bird and it always fails to identify even when I am almost next to the bird. I can see the recording shows amplitude half way across the graph and collected several of the same call. The one bird it did identify was remarkably wrong... Jay for House Sparrow.

I have to say I also have BirdSongId and that does not work any better.

I am using a recent iPhone model.

This is the only post I found on the item... maybe there is a discussion elsewhere.

Hi, am new to the forum but also have started using the new Merlin addin and not impressed. I have tried perhaps 6-7 bird and it always fails to identify even when I am almost next to the bird. I can see the recording shows amplitude half way across the graph and collected several of the same call. The one bird it did identify was remarkably wrong... Jay for House Sparrow.

I have to say I also have BirdSongId and that does not work any better.

I am using a recent iPhone model.

This is the only post I found on the item... maybe there is a discussion elsewhere.

This is a guess as I have not used the voice id feature at all: you may need an external microphone in order to make the recording have the required quality. Also remember that even for photos, the right species is expected to be in the top 5 but not necessarily the top choice of the app.

Niels

I would be interested to see if others need an external mike... I can see that, but the signal in this recording is way above any external noise.

As more and more folk use it and 'correct' it "that's my bird, that's NOT my bird' then the accuracy should, at least in theory, improve. Also as more and more recordings are available to Merlin to check itself against then the accuracy should improve (as far as I understand how Merlin 'learns'). Initially the photo ID was a bit hit and miss (still can be with poorer quality photos and some families) but has definitely improved over time, as I expect the song/call ID should too.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back