• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrading for a 7D which way to go? (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I am somewhat out of the loop with cameras and the likes as life has got in the way of photography for the last few years (or more). I currently shoot with a 7D which is a decent camera but I am considering adding another body and am wondering what the current favourites are? I know that the 7D mkII was very highly thought of when it came out, but that was sometimes ago. Do people still rate this as good birding camera or are there other options to consider? I see that Canon seem to have discontinued the 7DmkII without a direct replacement so I was wondering which of the current bodies would be worth looking at or whether to go for a secondhand 7DmkII.

I am somewhat out of the loop with cameras and the likes as life has got in the way of photography for the last few years (or more). I currently shoot with a 7D which is a decent camera but I am considering adding another body and am wondering what the current favourites are? I know that the 7D mkII was very highly thought of when it came out, but that was sometimes ago. Do people still rate this as good birding camera or are there other options to consider? I see that Canon seem to have discontinued the 7DmkII without a direct replacement so I was wondering which of the current bodies would be worth looking at or whether to go for a secondhand 7DmkII.
I am still shooting with a 7D mkii and I have to say that it is a real workhorse. I would still rate it as a great birding camera. I keep thinking that I "need" one of the new mirrorless models, but but the 7D mkii keeps getting the job done so especially since it would also entail upgrading my glass, I just can't justify the expense.

If your looking at alternatives, Mike in Hong Kong has been posting some stunning photos using the Sony RX10iv. If I didn't already have a Canon 70D I would probably be looking at it myself. Ng Tung Chai, Hong Kong

I am still shooting with a 7D mkii and I have to say that it is a real workhorse. I would still rate it as a great birding camera. I keep thinking that I "need" one of the new mirrorless models, but but the 7D mkii keeps getting the job done so especially since it would also entail upgrading my glass, I just can't justify the expense.

If your looking at alternatives, Mike in Hong Kong has been posting some stunning photos using the Sony RX10iv. If I didn't already have a Canon 70D I would probably be looking at it myself. Ng Tung Chai, Hong Kong
I would second that. I'm still very happy with my 7Dii. I'm tempted by the R5, of course, but it sounds like a lot of money and a lot of hassle (necessary upgrading of the computer etc etc) for slightly fewer pixels per bird. If the rumoured R7 (cheaper APSC version of the R5) actually materialises I might be more tempted though....

I would second that. I'm still very happy with my 7Dii. I'm tempted by the R5, of course, but it sounds like a lot of money and a lot of hassle (necessary upgrading of the computer etc etc) for slightly fewer pixels per bird. If the rumoured R7 (cheaper APSC version of the R5) actually materialises I might be more tempted though....
Oh, and I have the Sony Rx10iv as my 'carry around when there's nothing special going on' and I love it: very nearly as good as the 7Dii + 100-400ii - and better in some respects - but only 1Kg.

Exactly the same as Steve. Still very happy with 7Dii + 100-400ii and with the RX10 MkIV. Also waiting to see if an R7 materialises.

Rob

Thanks one and all. That confirms my thinking, time to start looking for a good used 7DII.
Try MPB for your used 7Dii. I’ve bought from them several times and found them excellent to deal with. It would also be worth checking out the Canon 90D which also has a APS-C sensor, like the 7Dii but with 32.5MP against the 7Dii’s 20.2MP.

Are you really considering upgrading to a camera to one over 7 years old ?....I have a 7D2 which I haven't used for a very long time as I use mirrorless, the only reason I still have it is it's probably only worth about £200. Recently I was photographing a Red Throated Diver as it was at some distance so I though I'd give the 7D2 a try...for me it was a total waste of time, AF system frustrating poor, image quality poor and unusable above ISO 3200, optical viewfinder like looking down a dark tunnel. Once you've made the transition to mirrorless you will understand the gulf in current camera performance, If you have the budget consider a new R6 which you can pick up for around £2k or see what transpires with the rumoured R7 which will cost less

Try MPB for your used 7Dii. I’ve bought from them several times and found them excellent to deal with. It would also be worth checking out the Canon 90D which also has a APS-C sensor, like the 7Dii but with 32.5MP against the 7Dii’s 20.2MP.
Although an older camera the 7Dmkii & it's autofocus will walk all over the 90D,i've had both cameras.

Are you really considering upgrading to a camera to one over 7 years old ?....I have a 7D2 which I haven't used for a very long time as I use mirrorless, the only reason I still have it is it's probably only worth about £200. Recently I was photographing a Red Throated Diver as it was at some distance so I though I'd give the 7D2 a try...for me it was a total waste of time, AF system frustrating poor, image quality poor and unusable above ISO 3200, optical viewfinder like looking down a dark tunnel. Once you've made the transition to mirrorless you will understand the gulf in current camera performance, If you have the budget consider a new R6 which you can pick up for around £2k or see what transpires with the rumoured R7 which will cost less
While I am sure the new mirrorless bodies are excellent they are definitely beyond my budget.

I have now got hold of a 7DmkII and am glad that I did as it seems like a nice camera to be using. The AF is a step up from the original 7D and the high ISO performance should give me an extra usable stop which is good enough for me at this time.

I did look at MPB (I've bought from them before) but ended up buying it from WEX as they had one that fitted the bill for condition and cost.

Although an older camera the 7Dmkii & it's autofocus will walk all over the 90D,i've had both cameras.
I reached the same conclusion after reading some reviews. I decided I wanted AF performance far more than extra MPs.

Everyone has different desires and needs when it comes to cameras. A good photographer will definitely take better photographs than me even with much older equipment but there again put me behind the wheel of the latest sports car and stick Hamilton or Verstappen in 1.1 Aygo I'll give them a run for their money.
The change in technology in cameras is astounding over the last 15 years. When it comes to Canon, the leap forward with mirrorless cameras is by far the biggest leap I have experienced, particularly the R5. They threw everything in to that model, they had to to catch up with Sony however, what you have never had you won't miss. I imagine that the jump from a 7D to a 7D2 is very pleasing indeed and that's all that matters. It's an excellent camera, especially at the price you can buy one for nowadays. Enjoy it!

If you are going to stick with canon go for full frame body such as a 1Dx or 1DX mark 2. Apart from build quality the sensor handles noise much better than crop sensor camera's such as the 7D 2.

If you are going to stick with canon go for full frame body such as a 1Dx or 1DX mark 2. Apart from build quality the sensor handles noise much better than crop sensor camera's such as the 7D 2.
The 7D2 is already a done deal !
The 1DX is a nightmare for noise with no silent shutter and the 1DX2 is expensive and in my opinion for the same cash you can get an new R6 which will not only outperform the 1DX2 in a few areas but offers lots of other benefits too. The R5 hammers it but the cost is a major consideration..

Everyone has different desires and needs when it comes to cameras. A good photographer will definitely take better photographs than me even with much older equipment but there again put me behind the wheel of the latest sports car and stick Hamilton or Verstappen in 1.1 Aygo I'll give them a run for their money.
The change in technology in cameras is astounding over the last 15 years. When it comes to Canon, the leap forward with mirrorless cameras is by far the biggest leap I have experienced, particularly the R5. They threw everything in to that model, they had to to catch up with Sony however, what you have never had you won't miss. I imagine that the jump from a 7D to a 7D2 is very pleasing indeed and that's all that matters. It's an excellent camera, especially at the price you can buy one for nowadays. Enjoy it!
I'd echo this.

Regarding the step between 7D and 7DII I'd relate my experience of the transition.

I bought my 7D in early 2011 and I was happy with it, but its noise performance left something to be desired. I was booked for my first trip to Goa in January 2015 and in the months before that, with an eye to the number of photos I would be taking in poor light, early daybreak, forest canopy etc, the new impending 7DII caught my eye with its advertised improved focusing and noise performance. I bit the bullet and pre-ordered one, taking delivery on the first day of issue, 30th October 2014.

I was happy with the Mk II, happier than I had been with the Mk I. Although the improved noise wasn't quite the improvement that I'd hoped, the autofocus was miles better. However, like many others with a new camera body to get used to I suspect, I was too busy learning the ropes on the new body to really absorb how much of an improvement it was.

That all changed only a few months later, when at the end of June 2015 the shutter failed completely in the new body. Away it went to be repaired under warranty (it still works) and in the meantime I got my trusty old 7D out of the cupboard. What a shock it was. Chalk and cheese. Going back temporarily to the Mk I body was like taking a step back in time. By now I was used to the 7DII and no longer new-fangled with it. The improvements over the 7D were as plain as day.

The 7D2 is already a done deal !
The 1DX is a nightmare for noise with no silent shutter and the 1DX2 is expensive and in my opinion for the same cash you can get an new R6 which will not only outperform the 1DX2 in a few areas but offers lots of other benefits too. The R5 hammers it but the cost is a major consideration..
Used the 7D 2 and all the 1DX series. No contest. The weather sealing on the 7D 2 is poor although they do dry out eventually :) Ultimately the images are as much down to the glass being used and the person taking the pictures :)

Used the 7D 2 and all the 1DX series. No contest. The weather sealing on the 7D 2 is poor although they do dry out eventually :) Ultimately the images are as much down to the glass being used and the person taking the pictures :)
The point I was making Mark was that the decision was made on the 7D2 purely on price and expected usage/ return on investment.
Of course the 1DX series are a better built and altogether better performer than a 7D2 but at a substantial price increase as well as being much bigger heavier bodies.
I agree of course that the end results of a camera are down to the person using it and their ability to fully master the options available but whereas I would always advocate investing in glass before a camera body in the past, I would seriously recommend existing Canon users who have invested in EF glass to make an exception with the R5/6 and consider buying one because the performance of their current glass, particularly lenses like the 100-400 Mk2 will suddenly be hugely improved in ways they may not have imagined. But again you have the same consideration on price and if you can justify the expense re the return, not necessarily financial but enjoyment too.

The point I was making Mark was that the decision was made on the 7D2 purely on price and expected usage/ return on investment.
Of course the 1DX series are a better built and altogether better performer than a 7D2 but at a substantial price increase as well as being much bigger heavier bodies.
I agree of course that the end results of a camera are down to the person using it and their ability to fully master the options available but whereas I would always advocate investing in glass before a camera body in the past, I would seriously recommend existing Canon users who have invested in EF glass to make an exception with the R5/6 and consider buying one because the performance of their current glass, particularly lenses like the 100-400 Mk2 will suddenly be hugely improved in ways they may not have imagined. But again you have the same consideration on price and if you can justify the expense re the return, not necessarily financial but enjoyment too.
The Mark 2 Prime lens have outstanding optics and when paired with a full frame sensor produce quality results in the right hands. Most of the lens for mirrorless are more expensive than the older L series glass for DSLR's. I am sure mirrorless is the future but having invested in the very best DSLR's can produce happy to produce images using "dinosaurs" gear for a bit longer. As for the 7D 2 an reasonable camera able to provide "reach" but in my experience subject to build quality issues.

I haven't had any issues with 7D / 7DII build quality, but I would honestly, having just sold my 7DII and bought an R6, never ever in 2022 buy a 7DII.

I don't understand why anyone would still consider, in 2022, a subpar / outdated body when so much better is out there in terms of dynamic range / low light / focus performance.

I had a 7D2 for a few years and wasn't aware of any quality issues, it didn't have any. Whats more it was an excellent camera that served me well. It was up there with the best crop DSLR's ever made, perhaps second only to the Nikon D500.
It was capable of producing quality images in 2015 and that won't have changed in 2022.
It fits the OP's needs to a "T" and I hope it sings for him.
Attached are a couple out of many hundreds of images taken with my 7D2. If the same images were taken tomorrow with my R5, I'd be happy with them.

Attachments

• _11A2994amn copy.jpg
    _11A2994amn copy.jpg
    963.1 KB · Views: 40
  • _11A9425mn copy.jpg
    _11A9425mn copy.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back