• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

uploading photos here (1 Viewer)

MJS WARLORD

Some of you know that I have posted photos here from a bushnell camera trap without any problems.

Over the past year I have lost a lot of close friends so I thought stuff the cost I am getting my first proper set up. I got all canon gear , a 90d body , a 50mm f1.4 and a 100-400mm zoom. I got the big zoom because that's what people use where I go dolphin watching in Scotland. I am gradually getting to grips with the basics of how things work but I have hit a problem.

The average size of most photos are around 9mb each so I am having difficulty posting them to here and on emails attachments. How can I reduce memory size without loosing quality.

I tried to post one here today that was 10.1 mb and right at the end it said it was to big to accept.

Hi,
With photo editing software you need to reduce the physical size of the photo down to 1600x1200 pixels and then save as jpg at a suitable compression rate to get it down to around 1mb.
Obviously keep the original safe at it's full size.

best regards,
Andy

To add to what Andy said, if the subject is small in the picture (e.g. a far-away bird or dolphin) then crop it first before downsizing the image. If you have to crop it a lot then it might not need to be reduced any further for posting.

I edit photos using Canon DPP (which you should have got with your camera) for RAW tweaking, crop to desired composition and save as jpg.

Then Photoshop Elements 7 usually just for noise reduction (bought-in plug-in Neat Image).

After all that I put copies of photos for BF in a separate folder and resize and save using Paint (I tend not to use 1600 X 1200 but 1200 X 800).

Seems to work for me, I don't think I've had a photo not meet BF requirements after that.

Cheers

John

Hi,
With photo editing software you need to reduce the physical size of the photo down to 1600x1200 pixels and then save as jpg at a suitable compression rate to get it down to around 1mb.
Obviously keep the original safe at it's full size.
These size restrictions date from the start of Birdforum over 20 years ago when computers were tiny by modern standards - surely it's time to increase them in line with cheaper data storage, so people don't have to go through the rigmarole of editing, and losing pic quality by downsizing? I'd have thought at least 8000x6000 pixels and 10 or 15 mb shouldn't take up too much space on Birdforum's servers?

Take a look at e.g. Wiki Commons; the current top size for posting images there is 100 mb, or in some cases 4 gigabytes :t:

I know I'd post photos here far more if I didn't have to micro-miniaturise them first.

Why do you need to post huge photos? Anything other than screen size is surely pointless?

These size restrictions date from the start of Birdforum over 20 years ago when computers were tiny by modern standards - surely it's time to increase them in line with cheaper data storage, so people don't have to go through the rigmarole of editing, and losing pic quality by downsizing? I'd have thought at least 8000x6000 pixels and 10 or 15 mb shouldn't take up too much space on Birdforum's servers?

Take a look at e.g. Wiki Commons; the current top size for posting images there is 100 mb, or in some cases 4 gigabytes :t:

I know I'd post photos here far more if I didn't have to micro-miniaturise them first.

I strongly second this. . ..

Why do you need to post huge photos? Anything other than screen size is surely pointless?
1. Because it is a lot simpler: upload the pic straight onto birdforum, no need to faff around for half an hour reducing the size of the pic.

2. Often important identification detail, etc., may be visible in a large photo at full resolution, but not visible in a downsized thumbnail.

1. Because it is a lot simpler: upload the pic straight onto birdforum, no need to faff around for half an hour reducing the size of the pic.

2. Often important identification detail, etc., may be visible in a large photo at full resolution, but not visible in a downsized thumbnail.

That takes me less than 30 seconds, so I've no idea how you're trying to do it Michael.

This is a very easy site to use.

https://picresize.com/

Browse and select your pic then choose the size from one of the options, I usually pic the one thst says 'fit to screen size 800'.

At the end, save the edited shot to your home dive then post, if I can do it, it really is, simples.

Thanks for all your feedback i found out yesterday that their is a photo package on the canon website and all you have to do is put in the serial number of the camera. It has a fuction that lets you reduce a photo from say 12mb down to 1.2mb on the 1600 x 1200 setting. For the time being that is the only funtion i want to use.

Hello occasional , if you read my original thread you will see that I am a newbie to high tech camera gear , that said , I don't think your suggestion would work because it would have to get onto the site in the first place for this to happen and that was my problem !

I kept getting told the photos I was trying to upload were too big for this site.

Using canons software I have shrunk 3 photos to around 1.2mb and I posted them in the gallery yesterday,

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back