• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

"upskirt" view of young gull, Sea Ranch CA, 30 Aug 2019 (1 Viewer)

Doc Duck

Supporter
The gull migration seems to have begun. The Western Gulls have finished nesting and now Herring Gulls and Heerman's Gulls can be seen flying in when there are fish runs along the shore. I was up on the bluff today snapping pictures of gulls and pelicans flying by. Most of the gulls I was able to ID by wing, eye, leg, and bill colour plus bill shape, but that was only good for gulls flying at eye level or lower or if they banked to show me their backs. This one I only got shots of from below, and the field guides we have here in the house don't show that view, let alone "upskirt" shots in all 3 or 4 plumages :S. Is there anyone on the forum who can identify gulls seen from below? Not that this is vitally important, but it was an interesting day in terms of new species arriving so it might be a nice trip tick for me and worthwhile information for the local docents when it comes to this year's arrival dates.

Attachments

• ADSC_7246 (2 smaller still).jpg
    ADSC_7246 (2 smaller still).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread