• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (6 Viewers)

can i just say, that this number is NOT an acurate representation, on sunday an immense flock of 18!!!!! was at the back of the flashes, i no your going on about 2day, but you know, always good to get these things in;)
interesting comments though
MB

Hi Craig
yes I should have stated that the numbers and species were from my note books in both years not the hide logs. I did not stay until curlew roost time which is almost dark so as you say false representation 8-P
I wont do it again:-C
B :)john

Nice orchids shots - just shows the diversity, not only of flora and fauna at UW, but also of the interest amongst us who frequent the place.
Looks like the numbers of pictures is likely to go through the roof soon, as I was told by Sigma (yesterday) that my 500mm prime is expected back in this country next week (after its maintenance sabbatical in Japan).

New lens (practically) and new eyes (essentially) - there will be no stopping me!

Last edited:
Just before I go out:

Thought I had one of these. Taken from the East Moors hide so cropped quite a bit.

Now I've found out how to post pictures there 'aint no stopping me now'!

Tell me when it gets boring - my family do!

Hope this is a Pyramidal Orchid.

Hi Roger,

As Tim has already said, that is a Common Spotted Orchid in the photo. The Bee orchid (~18 spikes) and Pyramidal orchid (only one spike of these) are found along the causeway between the moors pool and north moors.

More pyramidal orchids were present about 300 yards further up the A38 on the opposite side of the road towards Bromsgrove a few years ago - maybe our lone plant spread from that colony.

We used to get Common Spotted Orchids and Southern Marsh Orchids growing in the education reserve but sadly these have probably been crowded out by the Hymalayan Balsam that is prevalent in there these days. However, Orchids are notable for springing up sporadically in places where they haven't been seen for many years - so worth keeping an eye out for. :t:

Below is a very poor photo of the Pyramidal Orchid (left) taken at the weekend and a Common Spotted taken the previous weekend:

Attachments

• Pyramidal Orchid UW 270610.jpg
    Pyramidal Orchid UW 270610.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Common Spotted Orchid UW 200610.jpg
    Common Spotted Orchid UW 200610.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Upton Year List

Been a bit slow over last few weeks but 3 in a week has put me on 114 still a few behind woodchat and phil.
B :)John
now is your chance Tim to sneak in a few;)

Hi Craig
yes I should have stated that the numbers and species were from my note books in both years not the hide logs. I did not stay until curlew roost time which is almost dark so as you say false representation 8-P
I wont do it again:-C
B :)john

no not that either, this was at about 5pm, not the roost;)

you better not Mr belseyo:)8-P
MB

Upton Year List

Been a bit slow over last few weeks but 3 in a week has put me on 114 still a few behind woodchat and phil.

my year list has now reached 102 species, be some time before i get you guys, saying that though, the 2ns half to this year i can put in lots more time:smoke:B :)
MB
(p.s. im trying to reach 1000 posts so am posting more:-O)

Upton Year List

I think I'm up to 120 now, having added Red-necked Phal, Nuthatch, Black-tailed Godwit and Garganey over the past few weeks. Still a couple behind Phil but I think his Spot Fly is dodgy (heard only!!) as the juveniles of several other passerines can sound similar. ;)

Return passage of waders should be increasing in the next few weeks. :t:

As Tim has already said, that is a Common Spotted Orchid in the photo

OMG! I posted that 'photo, grabbed my 'new' lens and set of for UW. 1/2 way there I had one of those horrible thoughts: "I think I may have claimed a pyramidal and posted something else."

:eek!:I have just logged on with my heart in my mouth and as I suspected I'm too late to edit it - I shall look the fool for ever now!!

Another one of those mottos: 'Pride comes before a fall!'

I apologise to you all and especially PeterE.:-C

My only compensation after all this is that the 'new' lens seems to work ok, I've still got a lot to learn but had a very enjoyable afternoon starting the process.

Hope these are as I think: Bee and Pyramidal and mating damsels (I'm not going to try to identify them just in case!)

I'll let you all get back to birds now.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 68
OMG! I posted that 'photo, grabbed my 'new' lens and set of for UW. 1/2 way there I had one of those horrible thoughts: "I think I may have claimed a pyramidal and posted something else."

:eek!:I have just logged on with my heart in my mouth and as I suspected I'm too late to edit it - I shall look the fool for ever now!!

Another one of those mottos: 'Pride comes before a fall!'

I apologise to you all and especially PeterE.:-C

Roger - I wouldn't worry about it - we all make a few slip-ups now and then. Nice photos BTW.:t:

While waiting for Des, it'll be fun to have a stab (just to prove the "we're all fallible" theory).

Emerald or Willow Emerald?

Oh dear I feel a new project coming on! I wanted to get my bird id more secure first but there's always so much to learn, so little time to do it!

Assume this is Libellula depressa female???

Let me know if you'd rather these kinds of non-bird things (although taken at UW) went in another thread.

Roger

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 77
Oh dear I feel a new project coming on! I wanted to get my bird id more secure first but there's always so much to learn, so little time to do it!

Let me know if you'd rather these kinds of non-bird things (although taken at UW) went in another thread.

Roger

No - definatley leave them on this thread Roger! Nice photo - no idea what it is though!
Cheers

Roger

Yep - I agree - AKA Broad-bodied Chaser (female or teneral male??).

Personally, I like to see all UW wildlife photos on this thread.:t:

Last edited:
Thanks to the guys today with the scope down by the stile that helped us see the White-letter Hairstreak butterflies. We had popped over to see if we could see them but we didn't realise that they were mainly up in the canopy, so without their help we would have come away without seeing them at all. :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back