• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (5 Viewers)

I don't have a 2008 report to hand, but I'm sure someone will be able to confirm. If not I can when I get home.

By the way, all harriers are submission species for Worcs: did you submit it to the county recorder?

Mike

It is in the 2008 report for the 30th August. The bird flew over the Flashes and the Moors Pool (PMA, LC, PC).

Des.

Worked on the North plantation today details later.

Moors
Plenty of birds on the main pool, and a bit of 'vis mig' including swallow and meadow pipit. A flock of 10 thrushes were seen by some of the crew and thought to be redwing.
Counts at MOORS :
GCG 5, Little grebe 8 min, cormorant 15, greylag 32 (incl coffee bird), canadas 300+, shoveler 99, pintail 3, wigeon 9, teal 38, pochard 16 min, tufted 20, coot 280, water rail 5 along east side, little egret 4, snipe 6, lapwing 120, BHG 450, common gull ad, herring gull 25, LBBG 30, TAWNY OWL called at 6.45 behind east hide. kingfisher 3, green woodpecker, stock dove 2, collared dove, mistle thrush, song thrush 2, swallow 5 moved north, meadow pipit 2, goldcrest, cettis warbler 4 (incl 1 at NM) , blackcap 2males (per Ian - sky blue), grey wag 2, pied wag 50+ on A38 field first thing,

FLASHES: I didn't stay for the roost , but by 5.40pm many gulls had gathered and more were arriving all the time. The majority of the shovelers had moved to the Flashes from the Moors.
A pre roost of pied wags were twittering all over the drier areas.
Species counts at FLASHES[/B
Shoveler 61, teal 130(168 total), coot 14, snipe 19, curlew 14, lapwing 80, BHG 600, common gull 1st winter, herring gull, pied wags 40+, cettis singing Hen Pool, starling 50 - circling possibly going to roost in reeds.

Footnote: Gazza (Biking Birder) did a talk on Upton warren in Droitwich yesterday. It was very inspiring (apparently:smoke:) , enough to encourage a birder to come to the Flashes for his first ever visit. nice one Gaz:t:

Tuesday work at NM plantation

After the 'new wardens' induction, we tidied up the recently coppiced trees in the North Moors plantation.
From the brash (cut branches) we created a 'dead hedge' along the sides of the trail. Other brash was used as 'scaffolding' to encourage bramble growth on the edge of the plantation and in the currently vegetation free zones. Large cut trunks have been scattered to provide habitat for wood boring creatures and insects. The newly open areas will allow light in, to create a more diverse flora.
Some of the trees on the western edge were removed to create a more open habitat close to the new hide and scrape.
photos
1. the Trust explanation.
2 the site in background of new hide.
3. dead hedge
4. The view on approach to Arthur Jacobs bench.
5. View from the said bench

Attachments

• 1. NM plantation DSCF2866 (2).jpg
    1. NM plantation DSCF2866 (2).jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 2. Nm plantDSCF2863 (2).JPG
    2. Nm plantDSCF2863 (2).JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 3. NM dead hedgeDSCF2860 (3).JPG
    3. NM dead hedgeDSCF2860 (3).JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 4. NM afjs benchDSCF2856 (2).JPG
    4. NM afjs benchDSCF2856 (2).JPG
    381 KB · Views: 115
  • 5. Nm view from DSCF2854 (2).JPG
    5. Nm view from DSCF2854 (2).JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 119
Happy birthday to Craig B :)B :) - you are getting old now mate! Not so much NGB than SLaG Birder (Sooo Last Generation ;))

Yes Happy Birthday to our youngest warden
ps I have got a present for you from the Trust.

Errm, I'm not sure what's happened here but it isn't my Birthday :-O And it wont be for another 6 months :t: Thanks for the wishes anyway.

Ohh, anything interesting John? ;)

Errm, I'm not sure what's happened here but it isn't my Birthday :-O And it wont be for another 6 months :t: Thanks for the wishes anyway.

Ohh, anything interesting John? ;)

Your name was listed on the 'Happy Birthday' section of the BF home page yesterday - are there two of you? :eek!:

I don't have a 2008 report to hand, but I'm sure someone will be able to confirm. If not I can when I get home.

By the way, all harriers are submission species for Worcs: did you submit it to the county recorder?

Mike

I don't think I did, perhaps not realising the significance of it at the time. Thankfully it was seen by others and recorded. *slaps wrist*

Group visit

Although a bit late in the day. there is currently a group from Solihull visiting the reserve. I forgot to mention this, apologies for any inconvenience.
Thanks to Vern for letting me know.

Be careful if parking or walking around north moors we have some big machinery on site today including tractors shredders and lorry's. Also they have a very large smoke fire behind west hide sometimes its hard to see both hides

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back