• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

Planned work ?

Hi
Can you please tell me if its all open Tmr/Friday or is any work being done ?
I havent been for a while and thought I would pay a visit to hopefully see the snipe and also kingfisher if still around.
Is there alot showing on the Flashes or am I better to just do the moors >
Thanks
;)

Read with interest the ringing report on the gull. I don't know if anyone remembers a few years ago a BH Gull that was around with an injured leg for several weeks if not month. I was later picked up and taken to Swan Rescue. The leg was hanging on by a piece of skin and necrotic flesh. The injured leg had a ring on it. It was vetted and although not euthanaised, seeing it had survived so long like that a chance was given to it to recover, it died. The ring came back and the gull was in its' late teens possibly early 20's. That should be somewhere in the ringing reports. It had been rung in the Bromsgrove area.

My first visit for awhile, noteworthy were 3 Chiffchaff along the track to the Flashes (1 in hedge and 2 together in reeds). A Song Thrush was singing. An adult Common Gull was on the Sailing Pool. I only noted 12 Curlew in the field by the A38.
I must say the reserve is looking good, well done to the work parties.
Geoff

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Teal (55)--------------------------Shoveler (25
Tufted Duck (22)-----------------Snipe (3) Yes, three.
Lapwing (c100)-------------------G C Grebe (3)
Cormorant (19)-------------------Curlew (12)
Water Rail (3)---------------------L B B Gull (3)
Herring Gull (2)-------------------Kingfisher
Little Grebe (2)-------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
B H Gull (c90)--------------------Nuthatch (2)
Mistle Thrush (5)-----------------Fieldfare/Redwing (c30) 75% Fieldfare.
Grey Wagtail.

A distinct lack of duck variety today.

FLASHES-am only:
Teal (25)--------------------------Lapwing (c130)
Snipe (3)--------------------------Rook (1)
Cetti's Warbler (1) 1st Flash

SAILING POOL:
G C Grebe (3)---------------------Tufted Duck(3)

Des.

Read with interest the ringing report on the gull. I don't know if anyone remembers a few years ago a BH Gull that was around with an injured leg for several weeks if not month. I was later picked up and taken to Swan Rescue. The leg was hanging on by a piece of skin and necrotic flesh. The injured leg had a ring on it. It was vetted and although not euthanaised, seeing it had survived so long like that a chance was given to it to recover, it died. The ring came back and the gull was in its' late teens possibly early 20's. That should be somewhere in the ringing reports. It had been rung in the Bromsgrove area.

Hi Simon - this doesnt ring any bells with me; do you have any idea how long ago this was?

Cheers
Phil

Hi
I havent been for a while and thought I would pay a visit to hopefully see the snipe and also kingfisher if still around.
Thanks
;)

Not aware of any planned work. The Moors is always more productive in the winter months but if you have check out the Flashes, it can always hold a surprise

Hi Simon nice to see you today mate and good to see you have found the Upton Thread.:t:John

JTB - are you lurking amongst these portraits of your era? http://www.birdingworld.co.uk/Bryan Bland's.htm

No Phil but I have got pictures of birders Brian Bland didn't want to draw.
From back in the day 1979 to 1983.
1st lot in the Gambia 1983

Very quiet at the moment, so hopefully no one will be too peed off with me posting them. All have visited upton at some stage so a link with the reserve. Some are 'Upstarts and other twitching mates.
Do any of the old timers know any of them.
I will put the names on Tomorrow .
1. from left to right Ian Ricketts(B'ham), Mark Ponsford (Bristol), Barry Reed(Ware), me(B'ham), Colin wilborne(London)
2. back left to right Ian, Me, Barry, Colin. Front Sue (girlfriend then, wife now), Jeff Blinckow (Lincoln), Mark
3 same as no1 plus Jeff 2nd left.
4. Barry and me (Barry is one of the highest listers in the UK)
5. Colin, Me and Ian having a rest from birding

Attachments

• A.1 1983 .gambia boysPhotoScan.jpg
    A.1 1983 .gambia boysPhotoScan.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 126
  • A2 the crew in gambia 1983 PhotoScan.jpg
    A2 the crew in gambia 1983 PhotoScan.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 148
  • A3. the gambia crewupstarts PhotoScan.jpg
    A3. the gambia crewupstarts PhotoScan.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 123
  • A4 me and barry reed PhotoScan.jpg
    A4 me and barry reed PhotoScan.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 141
  • A5. 1983 me colin ian gambiamore upstarts an morePhotoScan.jpg
    A5. 1983 me colin ian gambiamore upstarts an morePhotoScan.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
And more in spain, scillies, outer hebrides

pics
1. left to right me, Neil Aston (Leicester), Keith Lyon (Dipper - Derby), Ian
2. Me and Roy Twigg (Sheffield),
3. Taffy (Wales), me.
4. Left me, Alan Adams (Liverpool), Dave Farrow (watford)
5 same crew as no 1,

Attachments

• B1. 1982 Spain. me dipper neil mamothPhotoScan.jpg
    B1. 1982 Spain. me dipper neil mamothPhotoScan.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 114
  • B2. 1981 me and twiggy PhotoScan.jpg
    B2. 1981 me and twiggy PhotoScan.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 109
  • B3. 1979. me and taff going to scilliesPhotoScan.jpg
    B3. 1979. me and taff going to scilliesPhotoScan.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 110
  • B3. 1981 me griz dave farrowupstarts PhotoScan.jpg
    B3. 1981 me griz dave farrowupstarts PhotoScan.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 91
  • B3. 1982 spanish crewmore upstartsPhotoScan.jpg
    B3. 1982 spanish crewmore upstartsPhotoScan.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
And the last lot:t:
Pics
1, the one Barry Reed wouldn't want you to see - he had just bought that T shirt for about 10p in the Gambia, after 2 minutes the dye began to run ha ha
2. Ian birding in his usual style
3. dipper and sue front, me and Alan Adams back.
4. My girls Gemma and Laura - both old work party team and Gemma has the rarest bird ever seen at Upton on her list - Least Sandpiper (mind you she was only 18months old when she saw it).

Attachments

• C2.  baza reedmore upstartsPhotoScan.jpg
    C2. baza reedmore upstartsPhotoScan.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 115
  • C3 ian rickettsjmore upstarts an morePhotoScan.jpg
    C3 ian rickettsjmore upstarts an morePhotoScan.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 93
  • C1. me sue griz dippathe upstartsPhotoScan.jpg
    C1. me sue griz dippathe upstartsPhotoScan.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 104
  • C4.. 1990ish  the top birders my girlsmore   birdersPhotoScan.jpg
    C4.. 1990ish the top birders my girlsmore birdersPhotoScan.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
My first visit for awhile, noteworthy were 3 Chiffchaff along the track to the Flashes (1 in hedge and 2 together in reeds). A Song Thrush was singing. An adult Common Gull was on the Sailing Pool. I only noted 12 Curlew in the field by the A38.
I must say the reserve is looking good, well done to the work parties.
Geoff

Thanks for that Geoff, yes the Tuesday crew have been busy:t:

WORK ON MONDAY at the MOORS

Hi
Thanks
;)

On Monday the Jacobs hide is being worked on. I am not sure how long for, but I will let you know asap.:t:

Blimey John seeing those pics. from the 70's/80's it almost seems just like yesterday tagging on to you around the reserve to hopefully learn more about I.D. and pick up one or two new species - happy days !!!

SAILING POOL

Black headed gull x7, Dunnock, Mallard x8, Tufted duck, Coot x2, Peregrine falcon, Blackbird, Great crested grebe x3, Great tit, Blue tit, Grey wagtail, Carrion crow, Kestrel, Robin & Wood pigeon

FLASHES POOLS

Blackbird, Blue tit, Wood pigeon, Goldfinch, Magpie, Great tit, Redwing x30+, Mallard x11, Moorhen x9, Little grebe, Teal x24, Lapwing x195, Green woodpecker, Jackdaw, Pied wagtail, Black headed gull x3, Carrion crow, Coot X6, Sparrowhawk, Shoveler x6, Linnet, Goldcrest, Stock dove x5 & Common snipe (40+ flushed from the open mud area between flashes 3 & 4 by roaming cattle) (39 on water’s edge in front of water treatment plant) (17 among Lapwing flock in shallow water in front of others by wtp) (many more in reeds and grassed area between flashes 3 & 4) actually seen 108 but many more around but no Jack

MOORS POOLS

Wood pigeon, Buzzard, Curlew 13, Blackbird, Cetti’s warbler (1 seen by car park on corner just before lane and 1 heard from West hide and 1 heard in secret garden area), Grey heron x2, Coot 187, Magpie, Moorhen x9, Wren, Great tit, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Bullfinch, Robin, House sparrow (Female with small flock of Dunnock feeding from garden on right as you approach West Hide), Lesser black backed gull x10, Herring gull x3, Black headed gull x138, Little grebe, Greylag goose x22, Stock dove, Common snipe x5, Teal x37, Tufted duck x29 (mainly female), Redwing, Lapwing x5, Great crested grebe x3, Shoveler x21, Wigeon, Cormorant x16, Water rail, Pied wagtail & Fieldfare

If anyone finds a small binocular bag Bushells please leave in the hide on one of the rafters lost today somewhere.

To all at Upton this was my last visit this year so here's wishing everyone a great Christmas and a happy new year

Adrian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back