• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (108 Viewers)

Yesterday Steven Hares reported via BirdTrack a Wigeon and 3 Pochard (presumably at the Moors Pool).

Yes Phil, from East Hide yesterday morning - wigeon with 36 shoveler. Two drake & one female pochard, also 25 (common) snipe in the margins.

Cheers
Stu - not Steve - don't worry, I've been called worse :-O

From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

Avocet, Barn Owl, Dunlin, Yellow-legged Gull, Hobby, 15 Curlew, Green Sandpiper, Stonechat, Chiffchaff, 12 Meadow Pipit, 43 Redwing, 12 Skylark, 53 Shoveler, 125 Teal, c600 Herring Gull, c2000 Black-headed Gull

From the Moors Pool this morning Dave J reports:

Hobby, Little Egret, 2 Wigeon, 5 Pochard, Siskin, 2 Chiffchaff, 3 Swallow, 7 Collared Dove

Minimum of 74 species on the reserve this morning.

Last edited:
From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

Barn Owl hunting for about 15 minutes from 0640, Avocet, Dunlin, Green Sandpiper, Snipe, 13 Curlew, Common Gull, juvenile Stonechat.

Last edited:
Today's work party North Moors

Thanks to all 20 of the crew today for a fantastic effort .
This was our first party of the season so some of us were creaking a bit, but we achieved way above my expectations.
The view from the Hide is now amazing with more open water, channels into the reeds . The feeding station is now more open and we can see much of the ground. The previously rank bramble area to the north of the hide was well and truly cut today. We used brush cutters and Paul's new 'toy' ...a heavy duty mower the resultant habitat is now grassland .
The shoreline was also trimmed leaving clumps of juncus, cover for water rail and who knows what..
We also cleared around the Hawthorne and Spindle saplings.

Alan D, Andy A Bob G, Bob O, Bobby P, Bob R, Charles, Dave H, Ellen A, Ian J, Julie W, Keith M, Kim W, Nick F, Paul M, Steve T, Sue T, Terry W, Tony B and me

Aso thanks To Sue and Tony for the cakes:eat:
also to Terry and Julie for cleaning out the hides

See video of the work on my twitter site click on below

Thanks to all 20 of the crew today for a fantastic effort .
This was our first party of the season so some of us were creaking a bit, but we achieved way above my expectations.
The view from the Hide is now amazing with more open water, channels into the reeds . The feeding station is now more open and we can see much of the ground. The previously rank bramble area to the north of the hide was well and truly cut today. We used brush cutters and Paul's new 'toy' ...a heavy duty mower the resultant habitat is now grassland .
The shoreline was also trimmed leaving clumps of juncus, cover for water rail and who knows what..
We also cleared around the Hawthorne and Spindle saplings.

Alan D, Andy A Bob G, Bob O, Bobby P, Bob R, Charles, Dave H, Ellen A, Ian J, Julie W, Keith M, Kim W, Nick F, Paul M, Steve T, Sue T, Terry W, Tony B and me

Aso thanks To Sue and Tony for the cakes:eat:
also to Terry and Julie for cleaning out the hides

See video of the work on my twitter site click on below

I had forgotten to mention if you were going to clear the ground at the base of the feeders - best chance for Brambling on the reserve I would have thought. Great work all!! :t:

From the Flashes early morning Andy P reports:

4 Green Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, Avocet, Dunlin, 14 Curlew, 4 Mute Swan inc 2 juveniles, Peregrine

PLEASE NOTE THERE WILL BE DISTURBANCE AT THE FLASHES FROM 10AM TODAY AS CONTRACTORS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE GOOD WEATHER TO SPRAY THE PHRAGMITES TO CONTINUE THE REVERSAL OF THEIR ENCROACHMENT.

Last edited:
Tuesday 8th October

MOORS
Little grebe 6. Little egret 2 over
Shoveler 22. Teal 18, gadwall 10.
Pochard. Tufted 34
Water rail 3.
Lapwing 70, snipe 28.
Kingfisher 2.
Greenfinch 15. Goldfinch 40.
Meadow pipit. Grey wag 2..

NORTH MOORS
Teal. Shoveler. Water rail 2
Kingfisher
Cetti's w singing 3, blackcap. Chiffchaff 2.
Coal tit.

FLASHES
Teal 130+, gadwall 2. Shoveler 52.
Coot 57,
Curlew 12, dunlin, avocet, snipe 2, lapwing 105,
Common Gull 2. BHG 2000, LBBG 2000+. Herring Gull 1500.
Pied wag 6, starling 4,

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*:
Avocet (1)---------------Dunlin (1)
Curlew (12)-------------Shoveler (46)
Teal (80)----------------Gadwall (2)
Coot (52)---------------Pied Wagtail (20+)
Kestrel------------------Barn Owl @ 18.50. Quartered for a few minutes before flying into the transmitter field.
B H Gull (c2000)-------Common Gull (ad)+(2x 1w)
L B B Gull (c2000)-----Yellow Legged Gull (2x ad)
Herring Gull (c1000)---Grey Wagtail* (MJI)

MOORS/N MOORS*:
Snipe (17)--------------Lapwing (75)
Gadwall (18)-----------Teal (15)
Pochard (m)------------Tufted Duck (26)
Shoveler (15)----------Little Grebe (6)
Little Egret (2)---------Coal Tit (2) (1)*
Kestrel------------------Sparrowhawk
Pheasant---------------Swallow (10
Mute Swan (7)---------Water Rail (1)*
Kingfisher--------------Chiffchaff (2)
Cetti's Warbler (2)

Des.

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

Barn Owl until 0705, adult Yellow-legged Gull, Avocet, 14 Curlew

Andy further reports from the Flashes:

Dunlin, 75 Lapwing, 76 Teal, 71 Shoveler, 2 Little Grebe, 8 Meadow Pipit, 2 Kingfisher, 2 Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Buzzard, 16 Snipe seen after heavy rain, 3 Grey Wagtail.

Kingfisher plus 3 Great Crested Grebe on the Sailing Pool.

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool Andy P reports:

Drake Mandarin Duck, 21 Snipe, 78 Lapwing, 3 Pochard, 18 Gadwall

Must be one of the most productive years of recent times for Mandarin sightings.

Last edited:
Avocet STILL at the Flashes this morning as per Tim

Also the long-staying Dunlin, 11 Curlew and 2 Swallows flew south as per Lloyd.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back