• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Upton Warren (4 Viewers)

UW82

I think that in recent years it has a taken a concentrated effort late in the afternoon purely looking in the areas that Bittern feed and roost in the hope of seeing each bird fly to roost. I have noticed that this year a bird(s) often move at varying times during the day which is making it difficult to keep a track of numbers.

Des.

upstarts1979

I think that in recent years it has a taken a concentrated effort late in the afternoon purely looking in the areas that Bittern feed and roost in the hope of seeing each bird fly to roost. I have noticed that this year a bird(s) often move at varying times during the day which is making it difficult to keep a track of numbers.

Des.
Hi Des
As the curlew counters are back perhaps we had better spend the evening at the Moors checking the Bitterns especially as there are no curlews at the Flashes at the moment - if thats makes sense.
cheers John

mike nesbitt

Last thursday (10th) I was watching a Bittern from the Bittern hide, a German lady came in and told me she had just been observing a bird further down (it was most definately a different bird) so it seems there were two present on that day.
One present from midday till 3.00pm at least, in front of the Bittern hide.
Best regards, Mike.

midlands birder

Hi Des
I was concerned because Brandon now has 2 birds. Their 2nd bird arriving just after our last sighting of 2 birds may be just a coincidence. Do you think the birds are a bit more secretive this year not being on the scene for a while is this normal behaviour or just my imagination.
cheers John (ps curlew counters almost back hope to see you there one night ;B :))

i can tell you a reason why the bitterns arnt showing,its because i havent been to upton in 3 whole weeks:-C
you saw my hopeless attemps to get it earlier in the autum,tricky little blighter to see this year, maybe the cold front will bring more out soon:t:
MB

upstarts1979

i can tell you a reason why the bitterns arnt showing,its because i havent been to upton in 3 whole weeks:-C
you saw my hopeless attemps to get it earlier in the autum,tricky little blighter to see this year, maybe the cold front will bring more out soon:t:
MB
High MB
leave it until Jan 1st start of a new year
ps notice you are still on 199 - no Caspo gull then
cheers John

upstarts1979

Last thursday (10th) I was watching a Bittern from the Bittern hide, a German lady came in and told me she had just been observing a bird further down (it was most definately a different bird) so it seems there were two present on that day.
One present from midday till 3.00pm at least, in front of the Bittern hide.
Best regards, Mike.

Oh well thats re-assuring Mike
cheers John

UW82

The very pale Bittern flew from the east shore of the Moors to the northern reed bed at 3.00 pm. That is the only Bittern I see. If there is another bird it is very secretive.

A Chiffchaff again in the Ed Res in the morning plus my first Treecreeper for some time and another or the same Chiffchaff in the Hen Pool area early afternoon. The field behind the east hide at the Moors was very popular with Redwing, c70 + 12 Fieldfare. The gardens leading up to the east hide held a Nuthatch (rare at Upton).

The Flashes was very quiet-just one Wigeon and five teal. The Silver Birches behind the Hen Pool were populated by the regular flock of 15-20 Lesser Redpolls.

Cheers, Des.

midlands birder

The very pale Bittern flew from the east shore of the Moors to the northern reed bed at 3.00 pm. That is the only Bittern I see. If there is another bird it is very secretive.

A Chiffchaff again in the Ed Res in the morning plus my first Treecreeper for some time and another or the same Chiffchaff in the Hen Pool area early afternoon. The field behind the east hide at the Moors was very popular with Redwing, c70 + 12 Fieldfare. The gardens leading up to the east hide held a Nuthatch (rare at Upton).

The Flashes was very quiet-just one Wigeon and five teal. The Silver Birches behind the Hen Pool were populated by the regular flock of 15-20 Lesser Redpolls.

Cheers, Des.

the last time i was at upton (28/11) i saw the normal phase bird on the north moor's, as you say one could be elusive(well they usually are) but you only see the pale bird i zhave only seen that bird 2 times in the last 2 winters( wheni first saw bitten last year and when i had 2 on the moors earlier this winter):t:
MB

upstarts1979

Birding Thurs 17th Dec 1.40pm - 4pm

Heavy snow shower mid afternoon at the Moors force 4 NE making the 1 degree C feel even colder.
Many birds were sheltering in the NE corner of the Moors pool making it difficult to count. But then for an un-known reason everything came out into the open.
Totals include:-
GCG 3, Cormorant 21, Shoveler 35, Teal 68, Pochard 21 Tufted 20+, Coot c70, Lapwing 150, Curlew 20 feeding in field behind East hide, A flock of 30+ Common Snipe flew around. Unlike Des yesterday I saw No passerines presumably all lying low. A couple of adult Common Gulls flew north after the blizzard.
Moving on to the Flashes where the water has risen a little bit more since the weekend, was a large flock of Lapwing totalling 800 (the largest so far this winter). Apart from 6 snipe and a small flock of 20 BHG and 5 coot (unusual at this time of year) it was very quiet.
Lets see what the next couple of days hard weather brings!!

cheers John

upstarts1979

Historic tour part 2 - old east hide c1990

This is linked to part1 #492 11th Dec
that showed views of the Broadmeadow pool and a view from the old east hide.
To put things in perspective I have shown where this hide was.
For those that don't know the reserve it was along the east path on the east side of the Moors Pool. Today a new (relatively speaking) hide stands at the end of this path.
Pic 1 shows the view of the old east hide from the east path
pic 2 shows the view along the path, 20 yards futher on past the gate is where the new hide is today.
Pic 3 shows the view from the old east hide to where pic 1 and 2 were taken
pic 4 shows the view from the new east hide looking north to where the old east hide was (in centre of pic just left of the fence posts)

Attachments

• 1.view of east hide c1990.jpg
    1.view of east hide c1990.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.the view along  the east track.jpg
    2.the view along the east track.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.Best view NE from old east hide back of dwellings east trackkDSCF9230.jpg
    3.Best view NE from old east hide back of dwellings east trackkDSCF9230.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 4 vew of where old E hide was.jpg
    4 vew of where old E hide was.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 102

Gert Corfield

This is linked to part1 #492 11th Dec
that showed views of the Broadmeadow pool and a view from the old east hide.
To put things in perspective I have shown where this hide was.
For those that don't know the reserve it was along the east path on the east side of the Moors Pool. Today a new (relatively speaking) hide stands at the end of this path.
Pic 1 shows the view of the old east hide from the east path
pic 2 shows the view along the path, 20 yards futher on past the gate is where the new hide is today.
Pic 3 shows the view from the old east hide to where pic 1 and 2 were taken
pic 4 shows the view from the new east hide looking north to where the old east hide was (in centre of pic just left of the fence posts)

Thats realy interesting John. The Barn next to the path had a great view of the Pools then! I remember the little hide on Stilts well and the times you couldn't get to it when it flooded behind it. I've got an old VHS recording of 'Birding with Bill Oddie' with an episode of him sitting in that hide talking about how many Coots there are here! Imagine this Hide today with the amount of people using the reserve - sobering thought!

upstarts1979

Thats realy interesting John. The Barn next to the path had a great view of the Pools then! I remember the little hide on Stilts well and the times you couldn't get to it when it flooded behind it. I've got an old VHS recording of 'Birding with Bill Oddie' with an episode of him sitting in that hide talking about how many Coots there are here! Imagine this Hide today with the amount of people using the reserve - sobering thought!
Hi Gert
Yes I remember that program he commented that it was the best managed reserve in the country - a bit over the top I thought

dread the thought - can't wait until the Moors car park is doubled in size!!!:eek!:

cheers John

UW82

John. I am sure that Bill Oddie did a couple of progs from Upton in the '90's and in one of them a Cetti's sang in the background. Oddie chose not to comment on the song, probably because at the time Cetti's were rare this far north and therefore breeding sites were sensitive.

Des.

upstarts1979

John. I am sure that Bill Oddie did a couple of progs from Upton in the '90's and in one of them a Cetti's sang in the background. Oddie chose not to comment on the song, probably because at the time Cetti's were rare this far north and therefore breeding sites were sensitive.

Des.

Hi Des
as Gert mention that program and the other one was with Jim Bowen see #368 18th Nov.
I wonder if it is frozen today. Have you got any early years habitat shots?
If you have photos try and copy them onto digital not too difficult but awkward if on glossy paper due to reflection.
cheers John

upstarts1979

Spoke to Phil earlier to find out whats been happening over the weekend: This is his report

As expected the Flashes are totally frozen. The Moors had a 30 x 20foot open area crammed with coot, shoveler (20), and Teal. The Bittern was seen (19th) . Two Jack and 13 Common Snipe were at the Flashes today and also a flock of c30 Linnets.
Hopefully it will not get any colder otherwise the Moors could totally freeze over.

upstarts1979

Birding at Upton today 22nd Dec - The Moors

As expected The Moors was mostly frozen. An area 50m x 50m was ice free in the middle of the pool and a smaller area in front of the east hide were the only open water on the reserve apart from the two streams.
On the Moors just under 250 wildfowl had kept part of the pool open. Water Rail were very vocal and conspicuous from the causeway to the Broadmeadow pool with 3 seen in front of the east hide alone. The only waders seen were single Lapwing and curlew and 3 snipe. Just a few thrushes, reed bunting, grey and pied wagtail and a singing Cettis represented the passerines.

The wildfowl were Little Grebe -1, Mute Swan pr, Canadas 3, Shoveler 54, Teal 30, Wigeon, Mallard 125, Pochard 6, Tufted 12, Coot 71

Sy - empty your private messages I can't send you a reply

Attachments

• A frozen moors 22 dec09.jpg
    A frozen moors 22 dec09.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 108
  • B open view of Moors 22nd Dec 09DSCF0062.jpg
    B open view of Moors 22nd Dec 09DSCF0062.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 73
  • C moors 22dec09.jpg
    C moors 22dec09.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 87
  • E view north part of moors 22dec09.jpg
    E view north part of moors 22dec09.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 87
  • D shovlr 22nd dec 09DSCF0064.jpg
    D shovlr 22nd dec 09DSCF0064.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

upstarts1979

Birding at The Flashes today 22nd Dec

The Flashes were completely frozen apart from the Hen Brook and overflow ditch by the sluice where there were 2 water Rail and a common snipe. On the Flashes 20 BHG stood on the ice. A small flock of 9 linnets and a handfull of Stock Doves was your lot apart from the usual regulars at the feeding station.

The Flashes did look good though

cheers John

Attachments

• A DSCF0108.jpg
    A DSCF0108.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 84
  • b DSCF0109.jpg
    b DSCF0109.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 85
  • c DSCF0112.jpg
    c DSCF0112.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 81

POP

The Flashes were completely frozen apart from the Hen Brook and overflow ditch by the sluice where there were 2 water Rail and a common snipe. On the Flashes 20 BHG stood on the ice. A small flock of 9 linnets and a handfull of Stock Doves was your lot apart from the usual regulars at the feeding station.

The Flashes did look good though

cheers John

John flashes raincoats whatever next.

John

Users who are viewing this thread