• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (57 Viewers)

Today at the Reserve

In searing heat the paths at the North Moors and Flashes were cleared of overhanging bramble, nettles and scrub. The grassy area directly in front of the two West hides at Moors was strimmed. Also Julie cleaned out the Flashes hide's. Thanks to all the crew:t:

Birding from 5.45am at the Flashes, where the usual June doldrums is well and truly in place.
The current drought is really biting now and without last year's contract work we would no doubt be looking at the complete drying out of the 2nd flash. Some of the channels are still holding water and others are drying slowly. We expected to be doing some tweaking and in dome ways the drought has highlighted the areas in need.
The Avocet colony have albut given breeding for now and the 3 juvs and their parents have been practising 'high flying'. Its unusual for the male to stay until the chicks are fully fledged but maybe the FOX situation forced it to stay.
Initially there was only 1 teal but more appeared during the morning. Shelduck were down to a single bird and generally duck had decreased in species and numbers. A family party of Whitethroat (4) perched on the stock fence between the cuckoo and avocet hide.
From the Avocet hide I saw 7 grey herons come in from the North and drop down on to the Moors but never saw any when I went there.

FLASHES:-
Teal 10. Gadwall. Shelduck.
Avocet 43. LRP 5. Green Sand 2. Oystercatcher or. Lapwing 31.
Common Tern. BHG 350 including 250 juvs.
Stock dove several juvs now appearing. Green woodpecker. Great spotted w. Kingfisher. Swift 10
Whitethroat family of 4 (3 juvs).
Singing warblers :- Lesser whitethroat. Blackcap. Reed warbler 6. Sedge warbler. Chiffchaff. Cetti's w.
Greenfinch now ever present in the scrub zone between the hen pool and cuckoo hide ..this species is an usual breeder and mostly at the Moors . This is good news as the species is in decline. Goldfinch 15+. Linnet.
Song thrush. Reed Bunting 5+

MOORS:-
GCG . Little grebe 10(1fledged juv).
Wigeon male. Mallard 5 or 6 broods one containing a mix of normal coloured chicks and 6 that are black and diving from a distance they look like tufteds.
Lapwing 4. Oystercatcher adult heard but not seen hopefully it is feeding young in thick vegetation.
Med Gull 2nd summer. Med x BHG hybrid.
Common Tern 2.
Water rail juv North moors.
Swift 20.
Cetti's w juvs East side. Plenty of reed warblers feeding young. Two sedge warblers singing.

Butterfies:-
In the grassland right of the Avocet hide at Flashes - ringlet 15. Meadow brown 12. Marbled white.
In the field behind the Avocet hide is usually cut at this time of year..But at present it has been left for cows to graze. I think it has grown to its normal height and looks a bit brown but just when you think its being left to grow they cut it. Plenty of butterflies in it including 2 Marbled white. Also comma, red admiral. Small tortoiseshell.
Also Ltd of dragons but I'll leave that to Des to sort.

Last edited:
Today's highlights-morning only.

FLASHES:
Avocet (43)---------------Green Sand (2)
LRP (5)--------------------Lapwing (30)
Shelduck (3)

MOORS:
Common Tern (2)---------Wigeon (m)
Oystercatcher (2 ad)-----Gadwall (5)
Little Grebe (4)-----------G C Grebe (1)
Cetti's Warbler (1)

Des.

From the Flashes Phil W reports:

8 Little Ringed Plover (incluing a couple of juveniles fledged elsewhere), 40 Avocet, 3 Green Sand, 2 Shelduck, 2 Oystercatcher, 12 Lapwings and a Common Tern.

Gert reports from the reserve this morning:

Moors Pool - 4 Wigeon, 3 juvenile Cetti’s Warble, lots of juvenile warblers and tits.

Flashes - Greenshank still, 4 Green Sandpiper, Dunlin, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 42 Avocet, 4 Teal.

Ringlet butterflies appearing in numbers at last.

Hi all

Is there a risk that the salt concentration will get too high and the essential invertebrates etc will not survive?

Julie

Dave W as our resident chemist used to undertake a series tests on the water - what I can't recall is how much greater the salinity is in the summer compared go winter and if the period he monitored coincide with any drought conditions

Last edited:
June concluded with a total of 95 species, the joint highest total for the most in the six years I have been keeping these records. The most obvious omissions were Little Egret, Black-tailed Godwit, Snipe Common Gull, Yellow Wagtail, House Sparrow and Coal Tit.

With the year list now on 135 species, potential additions in July include Garganey, Mandarin, Egyptian Goose, Wood Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Little Owl and Whinchat.

This morning at the Flashes Bob Williams reports no sign of yesterday's Greenshank but 7 Black-tailed Godwit, 6 Little Ringed Plover and 3 Green Sandpiper.

Red Kite

As promised some time back please find attached two charts concerning Red Kites. The first demonstrates the increase in sightings since the first record back in 1996 which has accelerated in recent years with 2018 already being the most productive year ever. The second shows the distribution of records across the year - happy for someone else to hypothesise about the factors behind such a trend!

Attachments

• Red Kite - annual.jpg
    Red Kite - annual.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Red Kite - half monthly.jpg
    Red Kite - half monthly.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 34
Gavo updates from the Flashes:

8 Black-tailed Godwits, 4 Green Sandpiper, 1 Ringed Plover, 12 Curlew, 5 Little Ringed Plover

I know these weren't taken on site but I thought the people on here could help me out with the ID of these Damselflies please
Just a quick thought are these both Azure Damselflies one male and one female?

Attachments

• DAMSELFLY - RUTLAND WATER EGLETON RESERVE 30 06 2018 (64A).jpg
    DAMSELFLY - RUTLAND WATER EGLETON RESERVE 30 06 2018 (64A).jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DAMSELFLY 2 - RUTLAND WATER EGLETON RESERVE 30 06 2018 (139A).jpg
    DAMSELFLY 2 - RUTLAND WATER EGLETON RESERVE 30 06 2018 (139A).jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Late afternoon Annie Edwards reports from the reserve:

Flashes - 11 Curlew, 8 Black-tailed Godwit, 6 Little Ringed Plover, 2 Green Sandpiper, c25 Avocet, c20 Lapwing.

Moors Pool - Med Gull

Just a quick thought are these both Azure Damselflies one male and one female?[/QUOTE)

I`m pretty sure the first is male Common Blue Damselfly and the second pic is a Female Ruddy Darter.

The end of Common Blue Damselfly is straight/blunt, an Azure is more pointed with black end extending a short way up body.

Others will corect me if I`m wrong. Hope this helps.

What do you think Des?

Richard

At the Flashes early morning Andy A reports:

48 Avocet (an odd time of year for numbers to be increasing), 2 Green Sandpiper, 8 Little Ringed Plover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back