• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urban and rural foxes, diverging? (1 Viewer)

Seems to be some morphological changes already?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53612856

When the urban foxes are seen wearing the flip-flops they steal, I'll worry....

Meantime, even in Britain, there are regional differences. Northern Scottish foxes average bigger and heavier than Sassenach ones. Mind you, I think that's just an average - close acquaintance with a number of local foxes has shown me how different they can be in size even within the same sex. One of the things that makes a generalist successful is rapid adaptability to new conditions - but not so far that they can't adapt back the other way....

Of course, in smallish animals like foxes where the generations turn over in 2-5 years, quite rapid change at local population level is perfectly possible.

Anecdotally, my foxes are minimally behaviour-modified. I think we can safely exclude habituation from change - almost anything can be habituated. And my foxes are habituated to me and Marion only, anyone else appears in the street and they evaporate. They remain wild animals.

Incidentally I disbelieve pretty much all the stories of urban fox attacks on people indoors - where there are teeth marks I'd be willing to bet foxes are being blamed in attempts to cover up dog attacks.

John

I think most of these may be not genetic. More food - bigger animals. In Poland and Germany there were cases when local wild boars increased in weight by several tens of kilograms when corn plantations were planted in the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back