• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urban Ravens (1 Viewer)

I live in Olton, close to the Solihull / Birmingham border. This year I have started to see Ravens overhead on a sporadic basis. Usually a single bird or a pair. This week alone I have seen a pair twice over my house and this afternoon at my local patch a short walk away, I saw four birds performing a fantastic aerobatic tumbling display.

Not so long ago, I had never seen a Raven and even then would have confused it with a Crow. Are these birds becoming more common and urbanised ?

We have about 25 pairs (minimum) within 15 miles in a 180 degree Western arc of Stourbridge and that is just the ones that my mate (mainly) and i have logged including a pair that have bred for 5 years within 1.5 miles of the Town Centre. They are being recorded more urbanly but i doubt whether breeding takes place where anywhere is disturbed.

Expect more sightings now it is post-breeding dispersal time:t:

Laurie -

You are very lucky then - i have no doubt that offspring of birds that are less wary might also be in turn more tolerant of humans but that isn’t the norm...

Where in Sussex is this?

Laurie:t:

Ravens tolerating nearby predators is most unusual - we have had adult Goshawks kill adult Ravens when setting up nests and at a different site had adult Ravens kill young Goshawks whilst both parents have been away hunting.

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back