• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent cleaning help needed...help! (1 Viewer)

laurencejackson

Hi All, unfortunately I find myself having to go into hospital for 4 weeks of chemotherapy on Monday. Naturally I'm still very shocked at my change of circumstances, but hoping that despite the aggressive treatment, my room will have a decent view and with that, some birds to see. My problem is that my Nikon 10x25 HGLs compacts have been stored in my car's centre console throughout lockdown for months, up against some new surgical face masks with an obnoxious inpregnated sweet cherry odour . Due to my condition, I cannot stand this smell. Ive tried lemon juice, regular washing in mild soapy water (they are WP and nitro purged) and I'm now trying apple cider vinegar....Does anyone have any help ideas what might help? The main odour seems to come from the rubber armouring on the barrels and the strap. Sorry this is a bit left field but thanks for any help!
Laurence, Perth, WA

Sorry to hear about your health issues and I hope you have a full recovery. Armorall is a great product but it has its own odor. You’ll want make sure it’s acceptable to you before using it. Not sure if hydrogen peroxide would work or how it might effect the rubber but it’s very effective at removing odors. Used on skunked dogs quite a bit. It would be prudent to check it out on some other rubber surface first if you decide to try it. Also if you do use it, following with armorall would be a good way to protect your sheathing. Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your health. You could try bicarbonate soda mixed to a paste with water for cleaning as this is excellent for neutralising odours

If the remedies above don't work, remove the rubber armour and take off or replace the strap, with string if necessary.

I cannot stand any soap with any perfume and I cannot use some binoculars because of smell.

The Amazon 10x25 at £10 is surprisingly good.
But I don't wear glasses.

Regards,
B.

I just removed the strap from the 5x25 Foton.
This was fiddly, but I managed.

I wrapped the binocular body in cling film covering the leather in one piece of cling film with the binocular tubes opened approximately as in use, but this is not critical.

The focus knob is bit of a problem, but O.K.

I removed the four end caps.

There is a great improvement and the smell is more or less gone.

The view has a distinct yellow cast in overcast conditions, but the resolution is excellent and there is more than 12 degree field.

I will probably use the binocular more with these modifications.

One has to check that the cling film does not intrude in front of the objectives.

Regards,
B.

Laurence. Sorry to hear about your health issues and hope for the best possible outcome. Charcoal and or baking soda sound intriguing, or wrapping.
~ Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back