• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

USA, Midwest, Illinois, Libertyville- bird fledging? (1 Viewer)

eobrienc

United States
My sister is currently with her boyfriend in Libertyville, Illinois for Thanksgiving (11/26/2020). She took a picture of this bird at roughly 4-5 pm CST. Judging by the size of the awning it's under, it seems to be a decently large bird, but it's awkward appearance looks like that of a fledging, not a full-grown adult. Can anyone help me ID this? I hope the picture isn't too unhelpful.

Attachments

• IMG_3453.jpg
    IMG_3453.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 29

eobrienc

United States
The bird is a House Sparrow, and it is an adult.
Oh really? I thought sparrows tend to be mostly brown while this one has a lot of grey. Or does this one just happen to be at an angle that shows none of the brown plumage?
If it is a house sparrow, then I wonder what sparrows I've been seeing around my own neck of the woods as they don't have that coloring and don't look as chunky as this one.

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/his)
Supporter
United States
Hi eobrienc and welcome to the Forum. Your sister photographed a fully-grown male House Sparrow. Males of this species have a lot of gray on the head and on the flanks, while the brown is on the wings, back, and back of the head. As this bird is facing the observer, the brown is hard to see.

Users who are viewing this thread