• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using ebird (1 Viewer)

Temmie/Larry - do either of you attempt full bird recording and if you do, presumably you resort to species lists for broader locations??

I attempt to do full recording while on a holiday, but all my sightings before I started using the database, are not in there. I only add one sighting of each species that I last saw before using the database, in order to complete my lifelist. I'm still not there with that work, but I have now more or less put all my travels in there.

This is e.g. my latest trip to Brazil:
all my sightings: https://brazil.observation.org/user/view/40215?lang=en&local=xx
Note that the ones with a time stamp are the ones I entered in the field. Not very birds are entered in the field much I must admit, as I still feel the time lost using the app in the field is the time I better spend birding and looking up in the trees!

This is the same but ordered in a list (so this is my Brazilian lifelist, not bad for two weeks of birding ;) ). It's the easier way to review my sightings and add pictures at home:
https://brazil.observation.org/user/lifelist/40215

Am I missing it, or doesn't eBird use gps to pinpoint the exact spot where you've seen a bird? You can only make a "list" of one particular location (estuary, or forest, for example) and have to make different lists for different locations you go to, all by hand?

I'm used to observation.org/obsmapp where you just enter the name of the bird you've just seen, the observation is pinned by gps, and the name of a region attributed automatically. One can see precisely where the bird (or whatever, plant or funghi or grasshopper or butterfly) was seen on map, and don't have to make lists for every region every time...

eBird also has an app that can be used in the exact same way to provide exact locations, and has for several years. You don't have to use hotspots; it's up to the user. But exact locations also have a drawback, e.g. in parts of Asia where bird trappers operate.
But I had real problems submitting lists from the mobile app based on either auto-generated coordinates or from assigned locations on the map. It basically insisted on me assigning a hotspot...

Am I missing it, or doesn't eBird use gps to pinpoint the exact spot where you've seen a bird? You can only make a "list" of one particular location (estuary, or forest, for example) and have to make different lists for different locations you go to, all by hand?

I'm used to observation.org/obsmapp where you just enter the name of the bird you've just seen, the observation is pinned by gps, and the name of a region attributed automatically. One can see precisely where the bird (or whatever, plant or funghi or grasshopper or butterfly) was seen on map, and don't have to make lists for every region every time...
I'm not sure either of them do, do they?

...Perhaps obsmap does. I think ebird just records the route you traveled whilst recording. So you could calculate an average density along the route but not get the fine scale info about actual encounters within the walk. (Please correct me if this is wrong.)

In each case the data would be somewhat imprecise but a valuable tool for those who are disciplined (e.g. I often add sightings as I remember them along the walk after being distracted by others things: so not absolutely precise). But ability to easily record "one-off" or "incidental" things is one of things missing from ebird. (Could just add new category to "traveling"etc)

Actually, that's one reason I'd prefer to write my own app. Wish one or other would open source theirs: no way I want to develop the whole thing from scratch. Unsure why ebird at least doesn't since it's developed with public money. I'd be happy to submit my observations to whoever wants them then (provided I continue to own them).

[Further edit: I see the mobile app has changed and you can add incidental observations. Think I suggested that to them but didn't hear anything back... Now if they just open source it...]

Last edited:
Not easily, unless you add incidental observation. This is one of the downsides of ebird.

By the way, did ebird add the possibility of recording non-bird wildlife at all?

No, eBird is just birds, another downside to me as naturalist. Would like to use a more international system, but the GPS based system of observation.org/obsmapp makes it supreme...sadly because there's a kind of culture especially among the higher echelons of users that makea me rather leave it. Still haven't found a comparable substitute, hoped eBird would be it but especially the meager location pinpointing is a big downside to me.

Surely, if there is one thing we’ve learnt about the internet is that you cannot assume the truth anywhere.
As a uk birder I’m in the minority using eBird, but as a free product I find the recording of my sightings very user friendly. I have also found it incredibly useful for planning holidays abroad and I am realistic enough to use it only for guidance rather than as definitive. I would add though that given the amount of records worldwide I have seen many many more lifers due to eBird than wasted trips to see birds whose recordings were inaccurate.

I’m a Canadian birder who is a strong proponent of eBird when planning trips both near home and abroad. While the data clearly has significant noise from misidentifications and imprecise locations, much can be alleviated by good cross-referencing and research using other sources such as CloudBirders. Generally focus on patterns rather than one off sightings far from core range. Understand the habitat of species you are targeting and identify casa where the checklist covers too many habitat types so that you know not to trust its location precision. IMO there’s no comparison with the thoroughness of data coverage - allowing you to track seasonal and year-based trends in sightings by various geographic scales including radial plots using apps like Birdseye. Many are now corroborated with photos. I generally travel independently without guides, and have found eBird to be invaluable in helping find sites for challenging species - and the local user base in much of South America, India and Australia means it has pretty broad utility.

I'm not sure either of them do, do they?

...Perhaps obsmap does. I think ebird just records the route you traveled whilst recording. So you could calculate an average density along the route but not get the fine scale info about actual encounters within the walk. (Please correct me if this is wrong.)

In each case the data would be somewhat imprecise but a valuable tool for those who are disciplined (e.g. I often add sightings as I remember them along the walk after being distracted by others things: so not absolutely precise). But ability to easily record "one-off" or "incidental" things is one of things missing from ebird. (Could just add new category to "traveling"etc)

Actually, that's one reason I'd prefer to write my own app. Wish one or other would open source theirs: no way I want to develop the whole thing from scratch. Unsure why ebird at least doesn't since it's developed with public money. I'd be happy to submit my observations to whoever wants them then (provided I continue to own them).

[Further edit: I see the mobile app has changed and you can add incidental observations. Think I suggested that to them but didn't hear anything back... Now if they just open source it...]
I thought I would add my thoughts;
I have read through the various comments and it clear that some are down to system and some to the users.
As I understand it, and I stopped using obs around 3 years ago. Each entry has the gps location of the observer tagged. This is not the bird (or other species) which dependent upon how close you are, could be some distance away.
Ebird can be used in a very similar way You can create a stationary list for each species. However you can put a different gps point to the reference if you choose. For example if you were scoping a flock of geese at c1km you can put the location of the flock against the record. However this is not how most people use it - most use a travelling mode via the app and then place all the species seen and counts against a single located place. This is often a hotspot, but is often not. There are recommendations of how to use the options - but it is a question of how many actually comply.
Ebird is not primarily a listing tool, it is a bird recording tool. However, if you look at the data there are many 'stakeouts' for species in there that shows that it is being used to highlight where to see key species. (But note, some sensitive species have their data hidden anyway)
Btw 'incidental' is not about the bird, but about the observers effort.
Also you can download your records in a csv format at any time - not that I have ever been bothered to do.
Accuracy is mentioned elsewhere. There are two aspects of this, species being out in the wrong place or the wrong species being mentioned. Local reviewers (who are all voluntary in eBird - no idea with obsmap) have tools to identify 'odd' records and encourage the submitters to review, justify or change. They do not change records - only the submitter can - but they can flag a check list if there is an issue. These are still visible, but not used for research data. As a casual user, you should be very careful of flagged checklists.
I have used both data sets in the past, although I have not used obsmap for c 12 months and I still use eBird almost daily. Coverage is very different in different countries, but increasing enormously in most have travelled to, and even in the UK. However, for example in 2020 where I live in Hampshire, there are c 250k records submitted for the year, of which 85% are Birdtrack and 10% are eBird, and virtually none for obsmap.
Israel has adopted it as their formal reporting system, as has Cyprus. Every year there appears to be more. For real time updates in the field it has changed the way I look for bird information

They do not change records - only the submitter can - but they can flag a check list if there is an issue. These are still visible, but not used for research data. As a casual user, you should be very careful of flagged checklists.
I am a voluntary record reviewer for eBird records in my county. As I understand it if I flag up a checklist for some reason it is hidden from public view but remains on the original poster's account, so only they can see it.

Btw 'incidental' is not about the bird, but about the observers effort.
Also you can download your records in a csv format at any time - not that I have ever been bothered to do.
Thanks for your post which I found interesting. Just on the point above: agree the observer's effort is "incidental". Quantifying probability of encounter [which you want to do for all kinds of reasons and what ebird's aiming for] is difficult... Esp. so in the case of twitches and bird tours. In these, the guide or the twitcher is generally going to the place they know something will occur with the aim of seeing that particular thing—often of course a known individual.

For the tropics tour data are a large bit of what's there but bound to overplay the effort.

I like the idea of an app which automatically records both the route you walked and the location where you entered a sighting. The latter will only be broadly correlated with where the bird actually was but it's valuable nonetheless. I hope that the download you can get from ebird includes this gps data... ...for me, one reason for extracting the data is to be able to apply different taxonomies to them.

I can't remember why I haven't gone with obsmap. Think it required an internet connection.

I am a voluntary record reviewer for eBird records in my county. As I understand it if I flag up a checklist for some reason it is hidden from public view but remains on the original poster's account, so only they can see it.
Certainly if photos are queried, then they remain on the public domain. I am also sure I have seen tagged checklists, but didn't have time to find one to double check.

Certainly any flagged checklists are excluded from research downloads, but I thought they were still visible.

Certainly if photos are queried, then they remain on the public domain. I am also sure I have seen tagged checklists, but didn't have time to find one to double check.

Certainly any flagged checklists are excluded from research downloads, but I thought they were still visible.
The checklist doesn't go away just because it has a species on it that has been rejected by the eBird reviewer. But that species will not show up in any of the public data, maps, bar charts, etc.

Lets use this example from Gladiator96. If you look at the map for Ferruginous Ducks in Malta, you will find that the sightings from the checklist do not appear on the map. The three domestic/captive species on that checklist do not appear in any of the public data. Only the Spanish Sparrow does. The checklist owner failed to remove the incorrect species from their checklist, so it can still be seen there.

I started using eBird for my local patch, Whitburn Coastal Park, as I like the bar charts produced and thought with a good data set it would generate a useful tool of what to expect for visiting birders and also to enable myself to see when to start expecting certain species to arrive.

I have however found that due to the “rare” sightings needing review that a lot of my sightings don’t feed into the bar charts. There seems to be a few reasons for this:-

• Entering 5 years of historic data I could only provide photos for species I had photos for and couldn’t start writing descriptions for birds seen several years ago. Besides 9 months after entering these records even those with photos have not been assessed, so don’t appear in the bar charts or site list.
  • Some species, e.g Yellow-browed Warbler, are classed as rarities but can be seen daily in Autumn, so require descriptions each time or may not feed into the records.
  • Some descriptions/photos presumably never get reviewed, e.g Olive-backed Pipit trapped and ringed, with in-hand photos hasn’t appeared in the records for that date.
  • Some dates are set incorrectly for when species are rare, e.g Brent Geese, look at the bar chart and it appears that they are only seen from a certain date, in reality that is the date at which the rarity filter has been removed and they can be seen in small numbers prior to that. If I was to write descriptions each time then they maybe accepted and the bar charts improve, but it becomes too much to keep having to do this for regular species.

Is there anyway to report things such as these, or incorrect records, such as where someone has entered records for the site, which were seen 3 miles away and even noted this in their comments? I have tried using the contact us option and never received a reply.

I started using eBird for my local patch, Whitburn Coastal Park, as I like the bar charts produced and thought with a good data set it would generate a useful tool of what to expect for visiting birders and also to enable myself to see when to start expecting certain species to arrive.

I have however found that due to the “rare” sightings needing review that a lot of my sightings don’t feed into the bar charts. There seems to be a few reasons for this:-

• Entering 5 years of historic data I could only provide photos for species I had photos for and couldn’t start writing descriptions for birds seen several years ago. Besides 9 months after entering these records even those with photos have not been assessed, so don’t appear in the bar charts or site list.
  • Some species, e.g Yellow-browed Warbler, are classed as rarities but can be seen daily in Autumn, so require descriptions each time or may not feed into the records.
  • Some descriptions/photos presumably never get reviewed, e.g Olive-backed Pipit trapped and ringed, with in-hand photos hasn’t appeared in the records for that date.
  • Some dates are set incorrectly for when species are rare, e.g Brent Geese, look at the bar chart and it appears that they are only seen from a certain date, in reality that is the date at which the rarity filter has been removed and they can be seen in small numbers prior to that. If I was to write descriptions each time then they maybe accepted and the bar charts improve, but it becomes too much to keep having to do this for regular species.

Is there anyway to report things such as these, or incorrect records, such as where someone has entered records for the site, which were seen 3 miles away and even noted this in their comments? I have tried using the contact us option and never received a reply.
Try and find out who is your local reviewer. I know who mine is but it took a bit of digging. They can change the filters, and free the data

Alternatively, volunteer to be a reviewer yourself.

That would be my suggestion too. Contact ebird and highlight the delay, and offer to review for the area. It’s not a massive ask - especially if there are not many eBird users in that part of the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back