• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

usings ones binoculars in the field (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please does anyone think it is good to keep the objective lens caps attached to the binoculars during use (with the caps themselves hanging down). Or is it all right to take them off altogether when one is using ones bins.

I suppose it depends on how the attachments are designed on the bin, and in what environments and usage conditions you are using them in.

I always used to have the objective covers attached (they were easy to get on and off quickly) , but then one day I was bush bashing and one fell off and done went git itselve lost. I never did get a replacement. Oh well, now I don't have them on.

Don't overthink it ..... 🙂

Chosun 👧

I have never used objective lens covers. If the binoculars are being stored in a case when at home or in transit then I don't really see the point. If you wear them hanging down then the objectives are protected from the rain.

I have an oft repeated story:- I was using my bins to look at some redpoll in the tops of some trees. Another birder walks past, asks me what I am looking at, I tell them. They the take off their backpack, take out a binocular case, remove their binoculars in a plastic bag, take the bins out of the bag, stow the bag in the case, remove the objective and eyepiece covers, stow the covers, put the case back in the backpack. They then have a look at the birds. When they are finished they reverse the process to return the binoculars to their bag.

I always left my objective covers attached, until one of my tethers broke and I haven't bothered to buy a new pair. My tethers were tight enough that I had no worries of them falling off. It was nice to have them in case it started raining, but I don't think it really matters a lot.

Never use them except when putting them away. I cut the securing ring off, because they are a pain getting them out of the bag. They keep snagging. I always have the rain guards on.

I tried using the objective lens covers at first but got sick of back tracking to pick them off the ground.

I suppose it depends on how the attachments are designed on the bin, and in what environments and usage conditions you are using them in.

I always used to have the objective covers attached (they were easy to get on and off quickly) , but then one day I was bush bashing and one fell off and done went git itselve lost. I never did get a replacement. Oh well, now I don't have them on.

Don't overthink it ..... 🙂

Chosun 👧
One person advised keep the top bit on is more important than the having objective constantly covered/uncovered

I have never used objective lens covers. If the binoculars are being stored in a case when at home or in transit then I don't really see the point. If you wear them hanging down then the objectives are protected from the rain.

I have an oft repeated story:- I was using my bins to look at some redpoll in the tops of some trees. Another birder walks past, asks me what I am looking at, I tell them. They the take off their backpack, take out a binocular case, remove their binoculars in a plastic bag, take the bins out of the bag, stow the bag in the case, remove the objective and eyepiece covers, stow the covers, put the case back in the backpack. They then have a look at the birds. When they are finished they reverse the process to return the binoculars to their bag.
I see your point. The user experience and enjoyment are diminished.

I always left my objective covers attached, until one of my tethers broke and I haven't bothered to buy a new pair. My tethers were tight enough that I had no worries of them falling off. It was nice to have them in case it started raining, but I don't think it really matters a lot.
I am forming the opinion that your approach is commonsense and has a lot of consensus

Never use them except when putting them away. I cut the securing ring off, because they are a pain getting them out of the bag. They keep snagging. I always have the rain guards on.

I tried using the objective lens covers at first but got sick of back tracking to pick them off the ground.
I too keep the rain guards on. I am beginning to think those dangling objective caps are a nuisance getting in the way of enjoying ones birding

One fellow wisely advised me that the keeping rain guard nearby is more important than the objective lens caps because a scratch on that side of the bins glass would be more serious. As to whether that is true I do not know.

One fellow wisely advised me that the keeping rain guard nearby is more important than the objective lens caps because a scratch on that side of the bins glass would be more serious. As to whether that is true I do not know.

Hi,

that is true, objective lenses are fairly large and far away from focus, so even large scratches won't affect the view a lot. Eyelenses are smaller and closer to focus and "well cleaned" examples have become unusable due to lots of tiny scratches from dusty rags in the center...

A well fitting rainguard that can easily be flicked off when taking the bins up helps a lot to avoid that...

Joachim

Hi,

that is true, objective lenses are fairly large and far away from focus, so even large scratches won't affect the view a lot. Eyelenses are smaller and closer to focus and "well cleaned" examples have become unusable due to lots of tiny scratches from dusty rags in the center...

A well fitting rainguard that can easily be flicked off when taking the bins up helps a lot to avoid that...

Joachim
Thank you for kindly sharing the opinion and knowledge which is so helpful

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back