• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UV/polarized filters? (1 Viewer)

alv_23

Hello everyone,

I've just received my new kowa 663M (my first scope) and I'd like to add a filter to protect the main lens.

So, now I doubt between a clear lens, an UV one or a polarized one.

What do you recommend me?

And which brand? I've seen that here in Spain 'Hoya' lenses are available almost everywhere.

I've not seen any birders using filters on 'scopes but for photographic lenses I always use a UV filter to protect the lens. A polarising filter is for a specific purpose to manage glare in sunlight and not really appropriate just as a protective filter. Much more expensive than a UV and will reduce the amount of light getting through

I've used a UV filter on my present scope (Leica ApoTelevid 62) from day one. Negligible effect on view, valuable protection from salt spray when seawatching and has prevented potentially catastrophic objective lens damage on at least one occasion for the price of a replacement filter - a no brainer IMHO.

RB

I use a UV filter on my Kowa 883. Mine is a second-hand hassleblad/zeiss filter which I bought from a well-respected photography shop. My reasoning was that I wanted to protect the front element of the scope - I would rather replace the filter than the front element. So far as I can tell, no impact at all on the image quality.

I would not put a polarizer on my scope - they serve a very different purpose.

Buy a filter from a respected manufacturer and you should be fine. Hoya should be ok. Buy one from somewhere with a good returns policy to try out.

Thank you guys. I've finally bought a clear protective filter from Hoya, so that it wont create distorsion as some cheap UV filters do and neither reduce light.

I was affraid about damaging the main lens because the scope has been a huge investment for me, so I think it's worth it.

Thank you guys. I've finally bought a clear protective filter from Hoya, so that it wont create distorsion as some cheap UV filters do and neither reduce light.

Make sure the filter doesn't reduce the optical quality of the scope though, at maximum magnification. Hoya makes filters of different qualities, and not all filters are the same.

Hermann

Just get a clear or uv filter. No need for a polarizing filter on a scope. Way back when I was doing some slr photography a polarizer could do some wonderful things. It could make clouds or wave caps on the sea or a lake really pop, or turn a washed out looking sky into a brilliant blue.

If you want to benefit from a polarizer, for example, to reduce water reflections, just put on your polarized sunglasses when using it.

Especially with binoculars I do it often.

I use a tinted Hoya filter on the front of my 82mm kowas all the time. it's easier to clean than the objectives and on a bright day outside. (Ever spend hours in the bright sun looking through a big glass)?

I'd dare say there is a slight advantage in sharpness/contrast when viewing some objects...Could just be my imagination there...Feels a bit more warm and reminds me of older Swarovski/Russian views...

Either way I'd guess I'm the odd one out in this forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back