• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UVHD+ 7x42s on boat: pure pleasure (1 Viewer)

Much as I liked the BN, the UV line is its equal and/or superior in every aspect, and are certainly its equal in terms of "toughness."
Good to hear that. I'm sure they're both reliable in the long term; the BN seems "tough" to us because it has now survived a bad fall, which the HD+ (which seems more delicate somehow) hasn't had yet. Maybe Leica needs to post an endurance video like the one for the Conquest...

Good to hear that. I'm sure they're both reliable in the long term; the BN seems "tough" to us because it has now survived a bad fall, which the HD+ (which seems more delicate somehow) hasn't had yet. Maybe Leica needs to post an endurance video like the one for the Conquest...
Yeah Leica needs to drop theirs on hard concrete rather than pillowy forest duff and shoot them with buckshot, not whimpy birdshot...

Mac308, do you have tried any of the Swarovski Habicht's? It's like people love or hate them on this forum.
I don't have any experience with them, but I can imagine they'd be excellent if they don't use field flatteners, and other Swarovski optical gimmicks. I used a Swarovski 7x30 SLC from 1997 to 2002 when I replaced it with the Leica 8x32 BN (which I found to be an upgrade). I found the SLC's, especially the latter NEU's, to be excellent bino's. But alas, Swarovski lost it's way and there's not a current roof prism of theirs I'd own.

I don't have any experience with them, but I can imagine they'd be excellent if they don't use field flatteners, and other Swarovski optical gimmicks. I used a Swarovski 7x30 SLC from 1997 to 2002 when I replaced it with the Leica 8x32 BN (which I found to be an upgrade). I found the SLC's, especially the latter NEU's, to be excellent bino's. But alas, Swarovski lost it's way and there's not a current roof prism of theirs I'd own.
Try the new 7x21, you might change your mind...

The Habicht’s are Porro‘s and old school design from pre 1950. No field flatterers or fancy optical gimmicks. They are the only Swaro’s I have And I can highly recommended them.

Try the new 7x21, you might change your mind...
Yes, I'd forgotten about that one. I have an excellent 8x20 Ultravid or I'd be tempted. I think I'll give the 7x21 at least a year to see how they fare durability-wise before buying a pair.

Aside, I've never understood why 7x isn't the preferred power for 20-25mm binoculars. I suppose consumers are brainwashed in favor of power and the mfg's are just giving them what they think they want.

I have an excellent 8x20 Ultravid or I'd be tempted...I've never understood why 7x isn't the preferred power for 20-25mm binoculars.
I've got the same ones and like you, wish that 7x was the standard for smaller binoculars, not to mention just more available in general. I'd at least swap my 8x20 Ultravid for a 7x18 or 21.

Well, I think we're all of the same attitude. I just posted my 8x20 uvids for sale, hoping I don't regret it - I do think the uvids are tougher...it's a hard call.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back