• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vancouver Island in December (1 Viewer)

katastrofa

Supporter
Norway
I will be attending a conference (my paper was accepted to NeurIPS, yay!) in Vancouver in 1st half of December this year. I wanted to take the opportunity to visit the Vancouver Island to see their famous wildlife: orcas, bears, eagles, whales, otters, seals, sea lions... Can you recommend me a tour company which could organise this in December? Or should I try to do it on my own? I would still need to rent a boat and someone to guide me (where to find bears, how to behave around them, etc), so that looks like a tall order and I would prefer a tour company to organise things.

Unfortunately, Dec is not the best time for wildlife. Bears will be hibernating by then unless the weather is mild. Humpback Whales will be gone to Mexico for the winter. Orcas are around. You might see them anywhere but there are tours from Telegraph Cove, Cowichan Bay and Campbell River on Vancouver Island. Stanley Park in Vancouver has lots of ducks and four species of owl. There is a Cormorant Colony there but not sure if they are present in Dec or not. The places suggested by Oldintheway above a good. You might see Trumpeter Swans. Check ebird for latest sightings. A good place is Point Roberts which is actually in USA but very close to Vancouver. I have even seen hummingbirds there in January. Bald Eagles and Piliated Woodpeckers are around in forested or coastal areas. Lots of birds around Nanamio on Vancouver Island and they have a bird club that takes people out on birding walks.

Unfortunately, Dec is not the best time for wildlife. Bears will be hibernating by then unless the weather is mild. Humpback Whales will be gone to Mexico for the winter. Orcas are around. You might see them anywhere but there are tours from Telegraph Cove, Cowichan Bay and Campbell River on Vancouver Island. Stanley Park in Vancouver has lots of ducks and four species of owl. There is a Cormorant Colony there but not sure if they are present in Dec or not. The places suggested by Oldintheway above a good. You might see Trumpeter Swans. Check ebird for latest sightings. A good place is Point Roberts which is actually in USA but very close to Vancouver. I have even seen hummingbirds there in January. Bald Eagles and Piliated Woodpeckers are around in forested or coastal areas. Lots of birds around Nanamio on Vancouver Island and they have a bird club that takes people out on birding walks.

What about otters, seals and sea lions? Where could I see them in this area in December?

What about otters, seals and sea lions? Where could I see them in this area in December?

Have never seen any around Vancouver. Sea Otters are further north. The further north you go, the more there are. Lots around Alaska. There are Harbour Seals just offshore of Vancouver Island on rocks and tiny islets. There is also a chance of seeing Orca anywhere around Vancouver Island. There are California Sea Lions and Steller Sea Lions but mostly in the northern half of the island and mostly offshore on rocks and islets. The best chance to see anything is from a boat. There are not many roads on the west coast of Vancouver Island. There are boat tours for wildlife watching. The Vancouver Island Whale Watch leaves from Nanaimo

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back