• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanuatu megapode (1 Viewer)

George Edwards

Nom de plume
Haven't been on here a while, like the new look! And have forgotten what sort of discussions are acceptable, so mod please remove this post if it's not okay, really not trying to lower the tone.

But…! Anyone know anything about the Vanuatu megapode / Scrubfowl (Megapodius layardi) ? From what I can tell is Red List Threatened / Vulnerable, with population 2000-10000, scattered over a few Vanuatu islands, population decreasing due to habitat loss and egg collecting (ie eating).

So I was more than a little surprised while channel surfing between World Cup matches yesterday to see a BBC presenter, going to said area (can't remember name of exact island as I only caught 5 minutes), and then going to great lengths to find nests, dig up the eggs and… barbecue said eggs on beach! To say I was gobsmacked is putting it lightly.

She appeared to know a fair amount about what she was doing, even taking the temperature of the surrounding earth (megapodes bury eggs in hot earth), and explaining that "collecting" eggs was only permissible during a certain period as numbers were falling, so I naturally assumed this was going to be some kind of science project. Nope, straight to beach for a barbie.

I Googled her and was even more amazed to see she was (ex-) President of the RSPB and a sometime presenter on Springwatch, which purports to be all about conservation (or so I thought). Chris Packham is one of the leading voices of Extinction Rebellion continually preaching about sacrifices we should be making to save the species on the planet - I always thought he was one of the good guys, and know he is a real birder having been to places and heard stories of a positive celebrity effect he has had by visiting.

So naturally at this point I'm thinking I must have it all upside down, maybe it was a different bird. Or, this sort of thing happens all the time, while we birders are making every effort not to disturb birds with the click of our shutters, the great and the good are having a laugh at us idiots and making fry-ups with endangered species and getting paid good money to do so by the viewers.

Last edited:
The clip is here

It seems to be a local tradition.

Don't see what on earth it has to do with Chris Packham?
Yes it's traditional, as is hunting game in Africa, but I would still be surprised to see David Attenborough flying over to Kenya to bag an elephant.

It doesn't really have anything to do with Chris Packham other than he's an outspoken environmentalist and birder and Kate Humble is/was his co-presenter on Springwatch and President of the RSPB, so I would have expected a reaction from him. Rereading my initial post I see now what I wrote was confusing and poorly connected!

But as I said above I didn't realise initially that this was a repeat of a programme aired 7 years ago. Who knows, maybe he did raise an eyebrow then. Still weird behaviour from the President of the RSPB though.

Last edited:
Haven't been on here a while, like the new look! And have forgotten what sort of discussions are acceptable, so mod please remove this post if it's not okay, really not trying to lower the tone.

But…! Anyone know anything about the Vanuatu megapode / Scrubfowl (Megapodius layardi) ? From what I can tell is Red List Threatened / Vulnerable, with population 2000-10000, scattered over a few Vanuatu islands, population decreasing due to habitat loss and egg collecting (ie eating).

So I was more than a little surprised while channel surfing between World Cup matches yesterday to see a BBC presenter, going to said area (can't remember name of exact island as I only caught 5 minutes), and then going to great lengths to find nests, dig up the eggs and… barbecue said eggs on beach! To say I was gobsmacked is putting it lightly.

She appeared to know a fair amount about what she was doing, even taking the temperature of the surrounding earth (megapodes bury eggs in hot earth), and explaining that "collecting" eggs was only permissible during a certain period as numbers were falling, so I naturally assumed this was going to be some kind of science project. Nope, straight to beach for a barbie.

I Googled her and was even more amazed to see she was (ex-) President of the RSPB and a sometime presenter on Springwatch, which purports to be all about conservation (or so I thought). Chris Packham is one of the leading voices of Extinction Rebellion continually preaching about sacrifices we should be making to save the species on the planet - I always thought he was one of the good guys, and know he is a real birder having been to places and heard stories of a positive celebrity effect he has had by visiting.

So naturally at this point I'm thinking I must have it all upside down, maybe it was a different bird. Or, this sort of thing happens all the time, while we birders are making every effort not to disturb birds with the click of our shutters, the great and the good are having a laugh at us idiots and making fry-ups with endangered species and getting paid good money to do so by the viewers.
You can see and hear them on Espiritu Santo at Loru Reserve, but clearly very local. Huge numbers of eggs are harvested from the Volcano Scrubfowl in New Britain PNG, a valuable protein supplement but just how sustainable it is problematic.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back