• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Varied Thrush - 28th October 2021 - Papa Westray, Orkney (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

Much better out there & some superb videos but in case of interest, a few heavy crops of Britain's second Varied Thrush. Three posts of five images.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 126
  • AB.jpg
    AB.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 129
  • AC.jpg
    AC.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 124
  • AD.jpg
    AD.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 122
  • AE.jpg
    AE.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 119
Are we sure that this bird is a female, as the contrast in the plumage ie strength of the orange and Prussian blue look more like a male. Acknowledge that the breast band is incomplete, don’t know how long a male would take to totally mature 2-3 years?

Cheers

Are we sure that this bird is a female, as the contrast in the plumage ie strength of the orange and Prussian blue look more like a male. Acknowledge that the breast band is incomplete, don’t know how long a male would take to totally mature 2-3 years?

Cheers
It's a passerine, shouldn't it be in adult plumage in about a year?

Any decent links to ageing & seeing gratefully received. I did read Pyle but whilst still asleep & it is not very detailed.

All the best

Paul

It's a passerine, shouldn't it be in adult plumage in about a year?
I’ve seen 2nd calendar year Autumn Stonechats not in complete adult plumage.😮
That would still make it only just over a year old, certainly nowhere near two.
I’ve also seen 2nd Calendar year Common Redstarts in April with a completely brown back in Cyprus.
To get back to VT, I’ve seen them in April, June, August, October and December.
Although fairly shy and retiring, the female plumage always seemed to be quite muted compared to the males unlike the subject bird whose colours look quite solid and vibrant?

This is all my 1987 edition of Pyle says...
Perhaps it’s all in the name Paul, varied to say the least!
I can recall a single occasion, when I viewed male and female coming to a seed tray positioned high on a tree limb against a viewing window at the Audubon centre Portland Oregon.
Although not easy to approach, the plumage “differences” were seemingly quite obvious at the time.

Cheers

I wonder what rules it out as a 1stW male? I would have thought the mantle would have been browner in a female, to my eye it is dark grey.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back