• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Variety from North Wales (1 Viewer)

Smithy1000

Attachments

• wagtail.jpg
    wagtail.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 82
  • Tern 2.jpg
    Tern 2.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Tern 3.jpg
    Tern 3.jpg
    939.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Merganser.jpg
    Merganser.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Tern1.jpg
    Tern1.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 97
1. Raven probably.
2. Rock pipit, yes.
3. Pied wagtail, presumably.
4. Arctic Tern, yes.
5. Arctic Tern, yes.
6. Red-breasted merganser - all brownish and mushy.
7. Pass

1. Raven probably.
2. Rock pipit, yes.
3. Pied wagtail, presumably.
4. Arctic Tern, yes.
5. Arctic Tern, yes.
6. Red-breasted merganser - all brownish and mushy.
7. Pass
Thanks. I have a feeling no 7 could be immature Sandwich Tern but it’s hard to tell

The Terns were presumably at Cemlyn, and I had what could have been your #7 a few days ago, albeit much more distantly. My best guess at the time was most likely a Common Tern in retained winter plumage. I guess similarly plumaged Arctic or Roseate are in the frame as well, but balance of probability suggests Roseate is the least likely by some margin.

Attachments

• IMG_8463.JPG
    IMG_8463.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8467.JPG
    IMG_8467.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8471.JPG
    IMG_8471.JPG
    785.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8473.JPG
    IMG_8473.JPG
    766.7 KB · Views: 22
Than
The Terns were presumably at Cemlyn, and I had what could have been your #7 a few days ago, albeit much more distantly. My best guess at the time was most likely a Common Tern in retained winter plumage. I guess similarly plumaged Arctic or Roseate are in the frame as well, but balance of probability suggests Roseate is the least likely by some margin.
Thanks for the response. I was at Cemlyn on Thursday.

Hello,
not a definitive answer, but one to get more comments:
the Tern in post 5 (and picture 7?) looks good for an immature Arctic Tern. please note:
  • extremly narrow and sharp trailing edge to primaries
  • really weak and narrow dark leading edge to the arm
  • and the following posts with helpful comments by Killian Mullarney: Tern at East Chevington
  • just visible dark outer tail feathers exclude Roseate?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back