• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various birds - La Fortuna, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
My guesses:

1. Rufous-Tailed Hummingbird
2. Rufous-Tailed Hummingbird (but looks different to 1?)
3. Ruddy Ground Dove
4. Saltator sp. (I'm guessing a specific ID isnt possible)
5. Thrush sp.??? Seems too bright for Clay-Colored

Attachments

• P1260521 (2).jpg
    P1260521 (2).jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P1260724.jpg
    P1260724.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 21
  • P1260837 (2).jpg
    P1260837 (2).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 20
  • P1260853 (2).jpg
    P1260853 (2).jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 23
  • P1270096.jpg
    P1270096.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 33
1) looks a fit for scaly-breasted hummingbird (certainly not rufous-tailed). 2) not sure: would expect rufous-tailed to have a red bill, so not that. For 5) suggest a female ant-tanager of whichever species

I think only the Red-Throated Ant-Tanager is expected in this area, and I can't find any variant of that which matches the red-brown back and buff belly seen here :/

Cinnamon Becard in that case perhaps? Female Rose-Throated Becard would have a black cap which this bird doesn't seem to, but I think cinnamon fits!

Cinnamon Becard in that case perhaps? Female Rose-Throated Becard would have a black cap which this bird doesn't seem to, but I think cinnamon fits!

Pretty sure this isn't cinnamon becard. Reasons include the apparent dark feathers on the face (partially concealed), and what appears to be fairly clear yellow unders. My earlier suggestion of a female ant-tanager is wrong because of leg colour (black here, should be pinkish), but otherwise plumage broadly ok (they vary quite a bit in how bright they are). Female rose-throated is the best suggestion so far.

I think 2) might be female stripe-tailed hummingbird. It's unclear from the map in Valley &Dyer whether this would be in range but: bill shape/colour fits; I think we can see buff wing panels; wings are long, appears to have a white vent

Pretty sure this isn't cinnamon becard. Reasons include the apparent dark feathers on the face (partially concealed), and what appears to be fairly clear yellow unders. My earlier suggestion of a female ant-tanager is wrong because of leg colour (black here, should be pinkish), but otherwise plumage broadly ok (they vary quite a bit in how bright they are). Female rose-throated is the best suggestion so far.

That was my initial thought but it seens to have a rufous crown?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back