• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

various LBJs, Gower, Wales (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
attached pictures of five different LBJs seen earlier today in the north-eastern corner of the Gower peninsula between Broughton Burrows and Whiteford Burrows, an environment dominated by vegetated dunes

as per usual i'm totally at sea as to what type of passerine they could be

any help in identifying them (if the pictures are up to scratch) would be appreciated

Attachments

• lbj1.JPG
    lbj1.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 153
  • lbj2.JPG
    lbj2.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 164
  • lbj3.JPG
    lbj3.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 159
  • lbj4.JPG
    lbj4.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 133
  • lbj5.JPG
    lbj5.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 150
Agree with (Common) Whitethroat for 1, 5 and Stonechat for 3 (a juvenile) and 4 (adult female). 2 is a Dunnock, e.g. tail too long for Stonechat...

i assume that the 3 identified as stonechat presumably are juveniles then ?

as for whitethroat, i can see where you're coming from, but then i have the problem that in an earlier post a bird was also identified as a whitethroat which to my inexpert eye looks quite different - picture attached for reference

Attachments

• IMG_1864.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 107
i assume that the 3 identified as stonechat presumably are juveniles then ?

as for whitethroat, i can see where you're coming from, but then i have the problem that in an earlier post a bird was also identified as a whitethroat which to my inexpert eye looks quite different - picture attached for reference

Note my upper post regarding the Stonechats...

The Whitethroat in the last post is an adult whereas the two in post 1 are juveniles. Adults have a pale iris (very dark in juv) and much more worn feathers so the diagnostic broad rufous fringes of the remiges are almost gone. Of course lighting plays a role too...

Note my upper post regarding the Stonechats...

The Whitethroat in the last post is an adult whereas the two in post 1 are juveniles. Adults have a pale iris (very dark in juv) and much more worn feathers so the diagnostic broad rufous fringes of the remiges are almost gone. Of course lighting plays a role too...

stonechat comment noted - i just was typing my reply while you posted your post

as for the difference between the whitethroats in both post, the one in the earlier post seems to my eye have a longer and differently shaped beak - is that also something to do with juveniles versus adults ?

It looks to me that it is down to the head angle fore-shortening the bill - the bird in #4 is almost side on whereas the others (#1) have the head angled toward the camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back