• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Veery on Shetland (1 Viewer)

Bluetail

Senior Moment
One trapped and ringed on Unst this evening, 1 mile west of Norwick at Northdale Cottage.

Flippin' Shetland again! :storm:

sylvia staffs

Filthy tick hungary Twitcher
Sorry everyone

i didnt seen Bluetails thread before i got on my soapbox and ranted about how luck those Shetland boys are again!! ;)

Good luck to all the locals going for it tomorrow and anyone else who is brave enough to twitch Shetland from the Mainland you have my admaration!!

Sylvia.

sylvia staffs

Dont swear at me Tim!!!!

I dipped it!!! :storm:

I wasnt priviliged to the news until it was to late in the day to organise a twitch over until the following day. Unlike some famous Norfolk birders who managed to hear about tyhe news, organise a boat and set off for it before us lesser mortals had heard a whisper!!!

I was ready to Twitch the Cornish bird of 99 but again that was only a one day wonder!!

My fingers and toes are still crossed for this autum!!

Sylvia.

Pie Face

sylvia staffs said:
Dont swear at me Tim!!!!

I was ready to Twitch the Cornish bird of 99 but again that was only a one day wonder!!

Sylvia.

Blimey Sylvia, even my mum and dad got that one ;) Oh and it hopped in front of my, then 2 year old, daughters pushchair o:)

Mark

Oh dear dear dear

never mind
i'm sure there will be another

in ten years!

wasn't it a lovely day too Jos?... quite a few minor rares about too. Red-backs, Woodchat, Golden O etc...

HH75

Ireland
Hi all,
Veery is one of those species which, despite being American, has turned up on a number of occasions in the UK but has yet to put in an appearance here in Ireland. Needless to say, we are eagerly awaiting our first, though it seems that this autumn is set to follow recent ones where the vast majority of the American passerines turned up on the Northern Isles or in Iceland, rather than in Ireland or SW England....
Regards,
Harry

sylvia staffs

Two American vagrants have turned up in the South West this afternoon- a Sora Rail on ST Marys Scillies and a Long Billed Dowitcher at Drift Resr Cornwall, a passerine is now surely due!!!!

All though there was a report from Unst of either a Grey Cheeked or Swainsons thrush on Shetland!!!

So far i make that 3-1 to thew Shetland & Orkeney Isles over the South West and Scillies!!!

Sylvia

Bluetail

Senior Moment
sylvia staffs said:
a passerine is now surely due!!!!
Yes, but I bet you it will be a Red-eyed Vireo, because that's about all we ever get down here in the SW these days! There may be the odd yellowthroat or something, but we certainly don't get the American passerines we used to in the 70s-80s. Funny how they've fallen off, but the waders haven't. I'd guess the latter are coming from the north rather than the west.

HH75

Ireland
Hi Jason,
Tell me about it: last year we had 3 American passerines in Ireland, and all 3 were Red-eyed Vireos! I have, by Irish standards, a small American passerine tally (5 species, and funnily enough all but REV were Irish firsts!), but that is par for the course among those who started twitching since the 80's.
Regards,
Harry

sylvia staffs

Hi Harry, everyone

i have been twitching since the early nineties and have a fair American passerine list with 6 species of American Warbler, R B Grosbeak, Nighthawk, Baltimore Oriole, 3 Species of Thrush, B B Pipit, Y B Cuckoo, 2 Sparrows, Bobolink and 7 Red Eyed Vireos!!!!!!

I think its a matter of patience, something i loose at this time of year as once Autum is over winter seems to stay for a long time.

Im sure you Irish boys will be smiling again soon on one of those western headlands of yours ;)

keep your fingers and toes crossed like me!!!!

Sylvia.

P.s

Boy lister

Did that lot make your mouth water!!!!
keep going and you will soon have some of them on your list!!! ;)

HH75

Ireland
Hi 'Sylvia',
The last twitchable Rose-breasted Grosbeak here was back around the late 80's, the only record of Nighthawk to date was available for one evening only (I couldn't get a lift in time), I managed to see our only Baltimore Oriole (only about 20 birders saw this, including some from the UK), I have NEVER seen an American thrush (didn't get a lift for the Hermit and missed it by an hour or so, was on Cape when the last Swainson's was on the mainland), the last BB Pipit was in the 60's(!!), NOBODY here has YB Cuckoo (never been an available bird, even way back when we got loads of Yanks), managed White-crowned Sparrow two years ago, dipped Bobolink by 5 minutes or less (thanks for reminding me!) and have seen 2 REV's (incl.one self-found bird), also only 2 species of wood warbler (Yellowthroat and Blue-winged Warbler).
I COULD counter with having seen 26 species of true warbler out of 35 on the Irish list, but many birders will have seen more than this in the UK, where Irish megas such as Great Reed Warbler are annual, and there have been twitchable examples of species not yet on the Irish list (Spectacled, Marmora's, Eastern Bonelli's, Lancy etc etc), so what's the point.
Twitching, eh? A load of b***ocks, isn't it...? ;)
Regards,
Harry

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
sylvia staffs said:
i have been twitching since the early nineties and have a fair American passerine list with 6 species of American Warbler, R B Grosbeak, Nighthawk, Baltimore Oriole, 3 Species of Thrush, B B Pipit, Y B Cuckoo, 2 Sparrows, Bobolink and 7 Red Eyed Vireos!!!!!!

Did that lot make your mouth water!!!!
keep going and you will soon have some of them on your list!!! ;)

If you'd started a few years earlier, like the classic autumn of '86 for example, you could have got a fair slice of them on a single day on Scilly.
Strange how things change!

sylvia staffs

Harry Hussey said:
Hi 'Sylvia',
The last twitchable Rose-breasted Grosbeak here was back around the late 80's, the only record of Nighthawk to date was available for one evening only (I couldn't get a lift in time), I managed to see our only Baltimore Oriole (only about 20 birders saw this, including some from the UK), I have NEVER seen an American thrush (didn't get a lift for the Hermit and missed it by an hour or so, was on Cape when the last Swainson's was on the mainland), the last BB Pipit was in the 60's(!!), NOBODY here has YB Cuckoo (never been an available bird, even way back when we got loads of Yanks), managed White-crowned Sparrow two years ago, dipped Bobolink by 5 minutes or less (thanks for reminding me!) and have seen 2 REV's (incl.one self-found bird), also only 2 species of wood warbler (Yellowthroat and Blue-winged Warbler).
I COULD counter with having seen 26 species of true warbler out of 35 on the Irish list, but many birders will have seen more than this in the UK, where Irish megas such as Great Reed Warbler are annual, and there have been twitchable examples of species not yet on the Irish list (Spectacled, Marmora's, Eastern Bonelli's, Lancy etc etc), so what's the point.
Twitching, eh? A load of b***ocks, isn't it...? ;)
Regards,
Harry

Blimey Harry you have had some bad luck with that lot along with that seabird we wont mention!!!!!!!!

Surely your luck must change soon, although i was throughly gripped off with that Blue Winged Warbler it looked a stonker!!!!

I sometimes think whats the point, but you are in a beautiful part of the world having just ticked a Mega with all the friends you have made through birding it makes it all worthwhile!!!!!!! ;)

just for the record i have seen 38 species of warbler on the BOU uk list still need Paddyfield (dipped 3), Blyths Reed (went for a singing male at Spurn and helped re id it through video of its song as a Marsh) Lancey and over course my name sake Ruppells(sylvia) Warbler {dipped the same bird twice!!!}

Look on the bright side your Guiness is definitly better than ours!!!!!

Good things come to those who wait!!

Sylvia

Users who are viewing this thread