• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon PH-157Q head maintenance... (1 Viewer)

Darkus_Markus

My used and abused Velbon head no longer wants to pan (tilt still works fine)
Wondering if there's a way to dismantle and re-grease the bearings ?
(assuming it's made like that)
Has anyone ever had any luck with something like this ?

Any help much appreciated.

My used and abused Velbon head no longer wants to pan (tilt still works fine)
Wondering if there's a way to dismantle and re-grease the bearings ?
(assuming it's made like that)
Has anyone ever had any luck with something like this ?

Any help much appreciated.
I came here with exactly the same query Markus. Did you ever resolve the issue with your PH157Q pan head?

I find some element of my Velbon tripod and PH157 head goes wrong at about two years, usually a leg attachment breaks. So sorry, not answering your question, but I did wonder if you could dismantle the head and just buy new legs. Seems pretty difficult to do that. The head itself looks difficult to take apart.

... but I did wonder if you could dismantle the head and just buy new legs. Seems pretty difficult to do that. The head itself looks difficult to take apart.
Hello @wolfbirder, just in case you did not remove the head yet: I just removed PH157Q from my old Velbon Sherpa 750R. I did not find any screws fixing it in place, then found a mention in a different forum you just have to use force. It seemed like a risky business after the years the head was on the tripod, it might be stuck. But after I sprinkled the division between the head and the legs with WD-40 and tightened everything, then waited a few minutes, it came off surprisingly easy, without using real force. I think the oil did the trick, it was apparent it came deep into the division.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back