• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon Sherpa 50? (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Hi all

I would like to upgrade the tripod choice for my Nikon Fieldscope ED50 (straight model) without reaching the cost levels of the carbon tripods.
I currently own a Slik Pro EZ but the SH-707 pan head which is a bit stiff in tilting and I don't like it too much: furthermore this head is difficult to remove from the column.

So I have focussed the Velbon Sherpa 50, which seems to be quite similar to my Slik, except for the tiny ball head which might be better for a lightweight spottingscope such as the ED50. I do not know it however.

Any opinion will be very welcome

Thank you

Last edited:
Ball heads are super flexible, but can be aggravating in the field, as the scope can flop any which way if the head is not tightened. A good lightweight head that can be tightened by a turn of the handle and which will easily pan along a shoreline is more comfortable imho.
A very inexpensive lightweight head that I use for my older Velbon is this Andoer offering:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P22ORAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note that you will need an Arca Swiss compatible plate for the ED50, as the foot is not otherwise compatible.

Ball heads are super flexible, but can be aggravating in the field, as the scope can flop any which way if the head is not tightened. A good lightweight head that can be tightened by a turn of the handle and which will easily pan along a shoreline is more comfortable imho.
A very inexpensive lightweight head that I use for my older Velbon is this Andoer offering:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P22ORAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note that you will need an Arca Swiss compatible plate for the ED50, as the foot is not otherwise compatible.

Thanks.
I did a test with a ball head and the Nikon Fieldscope ED50 is so compact that it (including focussing knob) can be held with one hand, while the other adjusts and tightens the locking knob.
In this regard, I would not have great difficulties, as I think I use it for occasional birding: for my surveys on migrating raptors, I use the larger Nikon Fieldscope Ed 82 A, with bigger tripods and several fluid heads.
Rather, the search for a light, tall and not too shaky tripod is difficult...too many elements to put together
Now I am also considering some more expensive options. Your clarification on the Arca-Swiss plates is interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I did a test with a ball head and the Nikon Fieldscope ED50 is so compact that it (including focussing knob) can be held with one hand, while the other adjusts and tightens the locking knob.
In this regard, I would not have great difficulties, as I think I use it for occasional birding: for my surveys on migrating raptors, I use the larger Nikon Fieldscope Ed 82 A, with bigger tripods and several fluid heads.
Rather, the search for a light, tall and not too shaky tripod is difficult...too many elements to put together
Now I am also considering some more expensive options. Your clarification on the Arca-Swiss plates is interesting.

Eventually I changed my mind and as the days went by I turned to a higher quality model: the lightweight Sirui T1204XL carbon tripod + E10 ball head (Arca Swiss compatible). It's very fine and ideal for the small Fieldscope ED 50 straight. Its weight is only 1280 g and with the column reversed it measures 46cm. Perfect to be packed in a backpack. It is very well finished.

Hi etudiant
I also bought this inexpensive (16€) Andoer fluid head you mention.
If lubricated, the pan (and the other) movements that I have found a bit stiff get smoother. Not a top quality item, of course, but for such an amount it's worth having it - after some maintenance -for light loads like the Nikon ED 50 and also the Vortex Kaibab HD 15x56 binoculars

I used a mid range ,small manfrotto carbon tripod with an integrated ball head with the ED50..it was around 1200 g...Worked well ,but a ball head works better holding a scope that has a rotatory collar mount.Then ,with the ball tilted sideways and the scope turned around ,you have a pretty stable mount.

I used a mid range ,small manfrotto carbon tripod with an integrated ball head with the ED50..it was around 1200 g...Worked well ,but a ball head works better holding a scope that has a rotatory collar mount.Then ,with the ball tilted sideways and the scope turned around ,you have a pretty stable mount.
After testing the Sirui E-20 ball head given with the T1204XL carbon tripod, I agree with the general better holding of an ED50. A little fluid head like that cheap Andoer Q08 is not bad at all with the ED50, I think it may depend much on personal preference in the end

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back