• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

well we're back from suffolk/norfolk

around 1000 pics between us so there must be some decent birds in there some where then again

we did get little , barn and tawny owl ticks from the tent plus kestrel, sparrow hawk and 2 woodpecker species.

think i might go to sleep now

captaincarot sounds like you had a good day! 1000 pics, there should be something captured then that you will like! Fantastic species you just mentioned!

I got up early again this morning as yesterday, I kept noticing how busier the feeders have been the last few days. Already this morning there has been the pair of Chaffinches with about 3 juvs I believe which I am thrilled with! 3 Greenfinches, pair of Great Tits, pair of Blue Tits with some young ones and the return of the Coal Tit! But not just 1, a pair of them! All making fleeting dashes for Sunflower Seed and Hearts. Just need an appearence from the Goldfinches next! :p

Our juv Robin has been in also this morning, but he is looking almost like an adult now. Just his breast isn't very striking at the mo, but that will come with time. Also, one of the juv Woodpidgeons is currently in with the family of Magpies making alot of noise on our roof.

No appearence from any of the Jays yet, though I have heard them, plus calls in the distance from a Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker so fingers are still crossed they may fly our way!

Anyways, but getter back to some observation, lol, take care! :)

On our trip to Utah I didn't manage to get through as many photos as CC, but I did take quite a few.

I've put a trip report with photos on my blog. Here are two pictures to start with - a Red-naped Sapsucker, and then Brown-headed Cowbirds sitting on a bison.

Cheers,

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• bison.JPG
    bison.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 57
  • red-naped.JPG
    red-naped.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 55
to be fair it's 1000 pics between 2 people on a 2 week holiday so it's not that mad an ammount.

each evening we would sit by the side of the tent and look out over the waveney valley.

there was a tree around 60 meters from where we sat where the kestrels roosted i'm presuming 2 adults and one of this years young as 2 of the birds would fly round the tree every evening performing a sort of display flight while the third one would fly behind squawking it's head off chasing one or the other of them, obviously didn't get pics of this as getting one was impossible in the low light conditions. about 5 minutes after they roosted in the tree there would be a series of calls usually about 5 in a row and a couple of minutes after this the little owl would appear on a fence post next to the trunk, again couldn't get pics as too little light.
the same tree also held interest during the day as one wood pigeon would fly out to meet any other passing and perform a wing clapping display.
in the hedgerow beneath was a warren of rabits with up to 30 showing in the field as the ligt dropped, we had visits from a pair of jays anting under a large walnut tree in the middle of the camping field (actually effectively the bottom of someones garden) the green woodpecker was also seen almost daily around the garden or anting in the field.
small passerines were blue tit, robin, gold finch, green finch, house sparrow, plus balckbird and song thrush.

we also had flocks of mixed corvids heading towards the coast in the evening , jackdaw, rooks and crows the biggest flock i stopped counting at 150 birds and they were still coming.
other birds seen in large numbers were black headed and herring gulls, with good numbers of lesser black backs and greater black backs again over a hundred gulls would be seen each evening heading towards the coast but normaly in smaller groups of no more than 10 together.

only saw one great spotted woodpecker flying over the maize field to the side of ours, we weere woken one night by a tawny owl male calling from the tree where the kestrels roosted which then moved right past us and into the church yard over the road.a couple of nights later i happened to be up around 3am and it flew straight over my head.

the first barn owl sighting was sitting on a post at 7am on the way to hickling broad, we then went for a mooch down by the river towards dusk that evening and saw 2 more with excellent views of one quartering the fields by the river.
we also spotted one of these birds on our evening by the tent quartering the fileds down by the river.
there were also up to 5 mute swans in the river area.
we had up to 7 grey heron roosting in a dead tree in the valley bottom above the river during the daytime there were flocks of up to 100 swallows but normally only around 30 were about. plus twice we had a fly over by a single swift.

butterflies we saw round the campsite were:
gatekeeper
speckled wood
holly blue
comma
small tortoise shell
large heath
small heath
large white
small white.
peacock

we heard an as yet unidientified cricket callign at night had bats flying round our head as it fell dark
saw loads of grasshoppers in the daytime. and had 3 species of dragonfly round the tent in the day also.

Attachments

• jason suffolk holiday 252a.jpg
    jason suffolk holiday 252a.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 44
  • jason suffolk holiday 262a.jpg
    jason suffolk holiday 262a.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 53
  • debs suffolk holiday 115a.jpg
    debs suffolk holiday 115a.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 42
  • debs suffolk holiday 133a.jpg
    debs suffolk holiday 133a.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 44
  • debs suffolk holiday 144a.jpg
    debs suffolk holiday 144a.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
see if it will let me put the last of the campsite butterflies in here.

there's some special butterflies to come later including a couple of lifers for both of us

Attachments

• debs suffolk holiday 389a.jpg
    debs suffolk holiday 389a.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 44
  • debs suffolk holiday 417a.jpg
    debs suffolk holiday 417a.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
There is some sort of hummingbird hawkmoth in the last photo of your first five pics. They are my favourite type of moths!

CB

i'm not sure exactly what that one is, i think it might be a silver Y(90% certain) but not totally sure

for comparison here is a real hummingbird hawkmoth

Attachments

• jason suffolk holiday 054a.jpg
    jason suffolk holiday 054a.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 44
  • jason suffolk holiday 064a.jpg
    jason suffolk holiday 064a.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Yeah looks like Silver Y i think.

Starlings eating me out of house and home lol 20+ seems pretty common place at the moment!

Karpman

karpman I haven't seen or heard of any Starlings around here in almost 2 months! Has anyone else had an absence of them throughout mid-summer? Very odd.

Dan i've only had a couple of Starlings on a regular basis over the past few weeks, seem to remember the same thing happening last year too.

CC looks like you have had a great trip!

Up to a dozen Sparrows in and out of the garden this morning. Our juvenile Robin is getting redder by the day now and is still being quite sociable with the older Robin, wonder how long that will last.

we used to have 4-5 pairs nesting in our roof and locally but since the huge wasp nest in the loft last year we haven't had a single nesting pair in our roofspace since.?

There have however been 6-10 juveniles at the fat balls and suet for the past 4 weeks or so so they must be still nesting locally in someones roof.:t:

No sure who makes the most racket actually. The Starling juveniles fighting or the Juv Corvids screaming for food .:C

I wasn't being critical, CC. Most bird photographers I see around here get through that many in a couple of days, because they set their cameras to the digital equivalent of motordrive and take a whole set of photos every time they see a bird.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

that would be me then in a desperate attempt to get one that's usable, i didn't take it as criticism anyway jeff

we had bittern sightings at minsmere, lakenheath fen and strumpshaw fen while we were there also on a bit of a roll there as it was 3 different reserves and sighhted 3 birds all of them reasonably distant flying and all of them flew away from us but it's a minor miracle seeing one in summer never mind 3 in 3 days.

minsmere is an absolutely beautiful place i'd certainly go back again when we're next in the area.
plus i got a liferwith sandwich tern there plus the humming bird hawkmoth which was a lifer and white admiral which was also a lifer.
add to that a fox trotting accross one of the scrape areas, lots of bearded tit sightings, unfortunately we saw about 30 beardies throughout the various places we went to and not one of the sightings could have been more than 2 seconds long, so no pics there either just memories of birds disappearing into the reads just as you spot them.
we also got a sighting of 3 hobbies together which is always a joy couldn't get the lense to focus on them at all though while they were flying they're just too fast.
then at the end of the day there were 3 red deer stood right next to the carpark as we went back to the car so a good end to it.

here's a couple of shots of a particularly obliging mash harrier from minsmere.

plus one terrible pic of one of hickling broads common cranes, the best view we managed to get of a crane in the 2 weeks, we had seen 2 distant ones circling the broad earlier in the day calling to each other, and 3 very distant ones at laken heath the previous week which were also lifer birds for us and part of the reasn we'd gone to suffolk in the first place was to see the cranes.

Attachments

• debs suffolk holiday 102a.jpg
    debs suffolk holiday 102a.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 47
  • debs suffolk holiday 099a.jpg
    debs suffolk holiday 099a.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 42
  • debs suffolk holiday 379a.jpg
    debs suffolk holiday 379a.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Loads to catch up on....

I will catch up with all the posts tomorrow.... some top images added over the last week :t:

Just to add a few of my own from the lakes walk over the weekend.

No Swifts above the house this evening :-C I will check again tomorrow.
Dave

PS
That Bison is just awesome :t::t:

Attachments

• bee-&-thistle.jpg
    bee-&-thistle.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 44
  • down-hill-all-the-way.jpg
    down-hill-all-the-way.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 42
  • ensign.jpg
    ensign.jpg