• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (26 Viewers)

Had loads young house sparrows the past month! The starlings haven't been around to much, but as soon as I start feeding fat balls they will be back! I will proberly start putting the fat balls out around the end or mid september..

Does anyone else stop feeding fat balls in summer months?

Fat balls are permanent all year round in my garden,I need to fill them up every day, mainly house sparrows and the tit family

Drove by my former house, I left my feeders and food and the renters assured me they would feed the birds. I had lived there 8 years and had a lot of regulars. Sadly they have removed the feeders.... Hope they were not to dependent on me....

Always a little sad when what you put in place isnt grasped completly by the new owner, however birds are resourceful creatures and will do just fine :t:

I think the bigger issue is that some people dont appreciate what is in front of them..... a little time dropping what your doing and staring out into the garden and watching wildlife doing their thing sure beats tonnes of other stressful\mundane day to day stuff.

Their loss I`m afraid

Was away at my sister's wedding in Leeds last weekend. The hotel had a nature reserve at the back of it, with a woodland walk 60 seconds away.

Went for a wee wander, and saw GSW, blue and great tits, blackbirds, dunnocks and 2 treecreepers, first for me B :)

Walked a little further round to the lake, and there were geese, gulls and ducks galore, along with a pair of moorhen accompanied by 4 very noisy chicks !!

The hotel was the Mercure Parkway, for anyone who knows the area.

Back home in East Kilbride, the GSW is still fairly regular, along with 6 starlings, mixture of adult and juvenile.

Also saw a wren for the first time in the garden, for all of 20 seconds :-O

And finally, we have a juvenile robin, half mottled chest, half red, looks very odd on first sight.

Fruit scones have not yet atrracted LTT's but everything else loves them, so will persevere.

Final finally, had a buzzard circling and calling overhead today, very impressed.

Will try and make the next post a bit shorter......

I have to say, I do quite like a garden full of starlings ! It amazes me how all of a sudden big flocks of 20-25 suddenly turn up (Which is big for my Garden) then in a Blink of an eye there away and not in sight!

Collared dove on another recce mission this morning, hopefully be feeding by the end of the day.

Not seen goldfinches in the garden for weeks now.

Anyone else's disappeared, apart from CB who had them this morning !

Just a few Goldfinch around, but what I have noticed is the complete lack of Starlings, which is very unusual..... however more than made up for with juvenile Jackdaws.

kill4.JPG

This is the eighth straight evening where the Peregrine has used the pines at the back of the garden to terrorise the neighbourhood.

The poor Bullfinch under foot was happily passing across the fields heading our way when out of the clear blue dropped its nemesis.

Siskins, Gold Finch and a commune of Green Finches on the feeder through the morning.

just put squirrel guards on my feeders, do they protect birds from raptor attacks or hinder there escape, or make no difference?

just put squirrel guards on my feeders, do they protect birds from raptor attacks or hinder there escape, or make no difference?

its extremely difficult to protect from BOP attacks no matter what you do. They are so resourceful ,after all their lives depend on it.

The other morning I was eating breakfast in the conservatory and a small male Sparrowhawk landed on the lawn in front of me about 10 feet away and then ran in under a bush and came out with a blackbird in its talons !

I thought at first he had caught our resident rat but unfortunately not.:-C

Great to sit and watch the young junvenile greenfinches, robins,dunnocks,house sparrows and great, blue, coal tits wandering around searching for food, greenfinches and sparrows are within 2 feet of the patio door, fantastic to see.

I tried a 'best count' of Siskins today. 13 on the sunflower hearts and 2 on the nijers. If this carries on through the winter, the seed bill is going to sky rocket. Don't they know there's a recession on?;)

The feral pigeons are back in numbers again. One has a couple of plastic jewellery on its legs, each different colours. I would imagine someone has lost a pigeon somewhere.

Also saw a Dunnock resting with its wings and tail spread flat on the lawn. Possibly a juvenile, but after a few minutes it got up and went foraging again. It may have been 'sunbathing' - I've seen other birds do this occasionally too.

apart from my usual, family of great tits ,and juv blue tits, a willow tit, coal tit,nuthatch and a greenfinch payed avisit to feeders. Also two dunnock, blackbird with two juv in tow ,and a willow warbler briefly dropped in garden,

Fairly quiet at present except for our normal residents.
One bit of excitement was yesterday when a Cooper's Hawk swooped past the feeders at our living room window. It went by about 4 feet from where I was standing looking out.
Also, we have very rarely seen Tufted Titmice in our yards. However, three have been hanging around for the past 4 days. I'm really hoping they'll stay.
Jeff

its extremely difficult to protect from BOP attacks no matter what you do. They are so resourceful ,after all their lives depend on it.

The other morning I was eating breakfast in the conservatory and a small male Sparrowhawk landed on the lawn in front of me about 10 feet away and then ran in under a bush and came out with a blackbird in its talons !

I thought at first he had caught our resident rat but unfortunately not.:-C

Tough watching nature do it's business.... I have a Cooper hawk living the good life right now. He especially likes squirrels. Although, I have only found one of his prey my normal 6 to 7 visits a day are down to a couple.
I once had a robin grabbed by a large black snake, it let out the most ungodly scream....

Over 30 blue jays visits for the peanuts, only saw as many as 7 at any given time so I am sure I have repeat visitors, none the less business is good. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back