• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

Here in the French Alps I'm seeing plenty of the first four species Rich, though the LtTs only appeared last week, good numbers of Marsh Tit, a single Crested for the past two months and a couple of Willow Tits when the snow was really heavy a few weeks ago. Other regulars are Chaffinch and Goldfinch but Greenfinch thin on the ground as are Siskin. Nuthatch and Great Spotted Woodies are regular as is a Middle Spotted Woodpecker which has wandered up to our level and seems OK with the minus 8C nights. Before the snow got too bad we had c20 Brambling but there are only a couple about now. The cheap 'budgie' seed I put down is popular with around 25 Yellowhammer (and some pesky Jays!).
No House Sparrow for at least six weeks though!
Great birds
How high up are you?

Here in Turkey I am only 700m up on a plateau but completely surrounded by much higher mountains up to 2000m close by.

Interesting with species distribution in gardens.
Starlings obviously tend to flock and often settle into a good reliable food source, maybe your neighbour now feeding (possibly all year) will be the catalyst for that species sticking around.
Always good to see the Bullfinch, cheers any day up.
There are a few locally Dave, but they don’t often come to our feeders. Bullies are great. Seem to do quite well around here. I often see them when walking the dog up the lane.

Had a cracking Red Kite low over the house last week as well. And the local Ravens are cronking away.

Rich

Great birds
How high up are you?

Here in Turkey I am only 700m up on a plateau but completely surrounded by much higher mountains up to 2000m close by.
Cheers, a bit of a change from when I lived at sea level on the Sussex coast ! We’re at exactly 1000m on the side of a valley with mountains around us up to 2500m. If it works here’s a link to the thread I started, post 17 has a photo attached showing the area: Birding halfway up the Alps
Willow Warbler must be a rare one there at this time of year?

Cheers, a bit of a change from when I lived at sea level on the Sussex coast ! We’re at exactly 1000m on the side of a valley with mountains around us up to 2500m. If it works here’s a link to the thread I started, post 17 has a photo attached showing the area: Birding halfway up the Alps
Just the two Willow Warbler, plenty of chiffchaff in the village
However down on the sea front canal dozen upon dozen of Willow warbler picking flies from the air, never seen so many

Just read first post, excellent, so will catch up more 👍👍👍

Nothing new in the garden for a few days.
Resident Little Owl sun’s itself every morning on our neighbour’s roof, Black Redstart and Blackcap still in good numbers.

Had to walk through the village for a few new birds, Sombre Tit and Kruipers Nuthatch.

Attachments

• 6B73C753-D480-4D0E-93BF-568E929396A4.jpeg
    6B73C753-D480-4D0E-93BF-568E929396A4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Not an uncommon bird for many people, but after over 2 years living in her new house, my partner was overjoyed to add great spotted woodpecker to her garden list today. I get them almost daily where I live, but we thought the surrounding landscape was maybe a little too open to attract them to her place.

Well that’s it for my Winter holiday
We will return maybe in April by which time the spring migration will be in full swing.

Chaffinch have been the most abundant species followed by Blackcap. Black Redstart and Serin in good numbers also.

Syrian Woodpecker were very low in numbers compared to the rest of the year.

Obviously no Hirundines and warblers.
Biggest miss was Sombre Tit which I saw just outside the village

Happy new year

Temperature dropped a bit the last couple of days. Garden full of birds. Male and female GSW now visiting. A couple of Jays today. Grey Wagtail yesterday and Siskins are beginning to arrive.

Adult Lesser-Black Backed Gull did a low flyby of the garden yesterday. Also had 2 long tailed tits, this was at my dads house btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back