• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

A male blackcap has just appeared to make it 27 species in our Sussex garden so far today. Just one more species to equal the day record (11 years of GBW). Pied wagtail would seem the most likely, as one has flown low into a neighbour's garden at least twice today but sparrowhawk is also a good bet.

couple new species today
1 Siskin feeding on sunflower hearts (a first)
1 meadow pipit on my garden fence there 10 mins plucking feathers (a first)
1 blackcap (female)
2 starling
4 chaffinch
12 gold finches
2 wood pigeon
2 blue tit
1 great tit

I have 24 species for garden now.

A very handsome and welcome male bullfinch turned up at 16:54 to feed on some of the few remaining berries on the privet hedge to equal our garden day record of 28 species. Can't wait to enter that lot into GBW!

Quiet here today.must be because the weather has gone milder here.7 Magpies and 2 Carrion Crows bit unusual though,oh also had my largest number of Great Tits this year sofar 2,don"t know whats happened to them.

It's mad! So far...

10 starlings
10 ish sparrows
2 chaffinches
2 robins
2-3 blue tits
3 blackbirds
4 collard doves
Magpie (fly over)
Common gull ( flyover)

Ended up with about

10-15 starlings
10 sparrows
5 blue tits
2 robins
2 chaffinches
1 greenfinch
4 collard doves
1 wood pigeon
1 greenfinch
5ish blackbirds
1 redwing
1 magpie (flyover)
6+ common and black headed Gulls!

What a day!!!! Been great watching all the different birds feeding! :)

Caught a glimpse myself after an early shift at work.

2 Blackbirds
7 Woodpidgeon
1 Dunnock
1 Robin
5 Greenfinch
1 Coal Tit
2 Magpies
1 Carrion Crow
2 Collard Doves
2 Chaffinch
3 Blue Tits

was spotted for a nice hours watch. Put a new feeder up this evening, will see if that attracts any newcomers too :)

GSW, 2LTT'S, 6 bullfinches,moorhen,8 chaffinches,goldfinches,greenfinches,collared doves,blackbirds,house and tree sparrows are the highlights this morning

thats a nice assortment Roger :t:

I was watching our lot from an upstairs window with my Pop today and in flew our GSW who spent a good 5 minutes scoffing the suet block and running up the boles of our lilac trees.

My Pop was gobsmacked ..Living all his life in surburban London he'd never seen one. He couldn't believe it was a common visiter . It just goes to show how we sometimes it is easy to take these exquisite birds for granted.

What a privalge to watch a Greater Spotted Woodpecker eating a few yards away in your garden eh !;)

2012 Garden Species No. 45
Song Thrush

Leaving for work this morning and the start of a late winter song was calling out from the top of the trees.. in the near distance another could be heard.

Certainly the signs of spring

I guess the drizzly weather isnt helping but it has gone very quiet here.

Only thing of note are the small numbers of Lesser Redpoll that are still turning up - 3 this afternoon

just the usual suspects in the garden past few days,although i have seen house sparrows collecting nesting material, always a sign of spring on it's way.

House sparrows, goldfinches, redpolls and blackbirds all regulars - just seen a wren bobbing around the stones and planters as well! First wren I've seen in the garden for many years.

a miserable damp, drizzly and gloomy day here and its taken 2 Goldfinch to put the mearest of colour to my garden.

Absolutely nothing to report, now that is a first for me in as long as I can remember

For me it is like winter has suddenly lifted and spring is almost here. More and more bird songs are being heard, particulary the Chaffinch and Song Thrush nearby.

Behaviour seems more pairing up and establishing territories rather than just eating for survival now. The Tits seem to be multiplying, various pairs trying to be the most dominant. The Robin is still chasing the Dunnock when he sees it, but a second Dunnock has joined, possibly now the same pair as previous years, so I dont know if the Robin will keep chasing both of them.

The resident pair of Magpies are forever chasing off an invading pair, all swooping each other, but the Crows are getting more assertive now too, swooping amongst all the comotion now and again and making everything disappear.

3 Goldfinch today, one singing in the tree after having some food. Chaffinch males getting territorial, at least 3 males trying to pair with this 1 female. Greenfinch still seems to be a steady 5, alot less of what I have had over previous years. I remember last winter we were having 30+!

Housesparrow pair appeared once again, taking it in turns to go on the feeder. Still no sign of Jays, Starlings or the Wren.

I heard temperature was suppose to drop again over weekend, but seems hard to believe with how climate is at the moment.

Windy, grey and very wet....

Finches galore, Goldfinch 5, Greenfinch 30+, Siskin 3, Lesser Redpoll 7 and a few Chaffinch

only this fella around now though ;)

Attachments

• _MG_0928.jpg
    _MG_0928.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_0917.jpg
    _MG_0917.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 38
  • _MG_0914.jpg
    _MG_0914.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_0920.jpg
    _MG_0920.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Beautifull pics there Dave! :t: Do they come round often?

No rain here except for a bit of spitting earlier, mainly cloudy and strong winds.

Feeders busy this morning, 4 Blue Tits, 2 Great Tits, 3 Chaffinch, 3 Goldfinch, 7 Greenfinch (usually just 5)

I mentioned last night no Starlings, 1 flew in this morning and went on the fat. Hasn't been back since so I'm now going to be on the look out for anymore swooping in or if anything gets noisier 8-P

same here ! :-C just started raining . Nice captures of the SH ! I bet its a bit quiet in your garden when he's around :-O

Luckily our resident GSW turned up this morning , much to the delight of Mrs P's Sister who is staying with us a few days.

Yesterday we braved the wind and went to Beer . The Cormorant colony is bigger and busier than ever and I watched one cormorant waddling back and forth on a ledge ,pinching pieces of anothers nest . They have such an awkward way of walking , not even as proficient as a penquin. Moody and ovrcast I managed some stunning captures of gulls against the headland with sqally clouds.

At Axminster we stopped our campervan on the estuary road for a cuppa whilst I tried to capture some of the ducks and waders settling on the mud flats for the night.

There was one tiny little bird who was diving for about 8-10 seconds and then popping up about 25 metres away !:eek!: and that was swimming against a very fast current indeed. it was too dark to make him out even with bins but I was staggered at his underwater swimming skills. Against the ducks he looked to be about the size of a very small coot.
Apologies for wandering off topic ;)

Attachments

• squally clouds off beer headland.jpg
    squally clouds off beer headland.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 46
  • unidentified small diver.JPG
    unidentified small diver.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 44
  • unidentified wader.jpg
    unidentified wader.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited: