• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Yesterday the young Great Spotted Woodpecker was at the coconut feeder feeding by itself. Mum went to the feeder first then a drink then flew off.

I’ve had an enjoyable spring / summer so far in the garden being home so much. We have had lots of baby birds, one thing I noticed was that Great, Blue and Coal Tit babies all seem to sound very similar. I watched Wren’s coming and going building a nest at the bottom of the garden, then the babies when they had fledged the nest. Amazingly they all knew when to be quiet when alerted to danger by mum. We have a daily pair of Bullfinches but they don’t appear to have raised any young. Perhaps they are too old as the male is very tatty.

A garden first the other day, we had a juvenile (I believe) Green Woodpecker. I thought it was a female at first but when looking at pictures on the internet I realised it is probably a juvenile as it was quite speckled. It spent nearly an hour in the garden finding lots of ants on the lawn, and also the ants that travel up and down the Oak Tree all day.

Here’a a video of the woodpecker.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3OfK1QSbA

Best thing I’ve done is buy a bird bath. The birds love it and I wish I’d bought one sooner. Only thing though is the pigeons seem to keep pooing in it! Keeping it as fresh as I can though.

Love the summer but looking forward to the winter bird watching as hoping we will have lots more birds than last year.

Last edited:
Buzzard in the garden this morning, got it on our cctv camera and also there was a dead pigeon it ate. It obviously wouldn't have caught it but a nice find for it.

Also a new bird this afternoon. Either a Marsh or Willow Tit. A few years ago we had what people on here said was a Marsh Tit, and what we had today I would say is different from before. It was making noises which our previous bird never seemed to do.

Got some videos and pics but the pics are zoomed in so pretty rubbish!

Hoping the Willow/Marsh Tit returns

Attachments

• 988C1094-7096-49F6-948C-75B09F2E77CD.jpg
    988C1094-7096-49F6-948C-75B09F2E77CD.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 42D97115-036E-4D23-8190-702E5C459458.jpg
    42D97115-036E-4D23-8190-702E5C459458.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 12
  • E8731D19-7D45-455C-8EB7-8F9ABDD163EC.jpg
    E8731D19-7D45-455C-8EB7-8F9ABDD163EC.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi Rich,

Yes either way it’s deffo a great bird to have in the garden. I’m not to clued up on the differences, but when you do look at the two birds side by side there are some subtle differences.

Whichever we had today was definitely different from our previous.

Here’s the Buzzard from this morning

https://youtu.be/hKoCDpwfRgQ

Here’s the apparent Marsh Tit from years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp46NbJG16Q

QUOTE=ClarkWGriswold;4039171]Just a guess Will but does the wider bib point to Willow? Great bird either way to have in the garden.

Rich[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hi Rich,

Yes either way it’s deffo a great bird to have in the garden. I’m not to clued up on the differences, but when you do look at the two birds side by side there are some subtle differences.

Whichever we had today was definitely different from our previous.

Here’s the Buzzard from this morning

https://youtu.be/hKoCDpwfRgQ

Here’s the apparent Marsh Tit from years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp46NbJG16Q

QUOTE=ClarkWGriswold;4039171]Just a guess Will but does the wider bib point to Willow? Great bird either way to have in the garden.

Rich
[/QUOTE]

Nice:t:

Been very busy this morning & very exciting my new feeder has been attracting Goldfinches including a Greenfinch who I haven’t seen for ages sadly a bird you rarely see nowadays.

I got my first crowd this morning! My new second feeder and suet basket have been out for a week now and today I had quite the turnout, I want to say 15-18 birds which all came within an hour window and I notice there is more activity in the morning I see them rarely during the day and never in the evening. I'm not too sure what came because I didn't want to get too close to my window to scare them away but I think I saw a few Redpolls :t: the suet basket was the hot item so I may consider getting a second... Very cool though I am a happy clam this morning!

I'll bet you are grinning with your bird turnout AKBirder.

Just wait til the cold weather sets in and lack of natural food. Although it's probably a bit chilly even now considering where you are ;)

I'll bet you are grinning with your bird turnout AKBirder.

Just wait til the cold weather sets in and lack of natural food. Although it's probably a bit chilly even now considering where you are ;)

haha yes KC I was super excited :king: I was worried they weren't going to be able to find my feeders, I know that'll be a tough time for them but if they stop on by AKBirding Buffet they'll be all good! It's funny you mention that about it becoming chilly, this morning I would say has been the firs where I felt it getting colder, winter is on its way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back