• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viator (Mike Hooper)'s 2009 List (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, An update

Discovered that the split Great Tits which I'd been assuming were Cinereous Tits as per Peninsula Malaysia which I've already seen this year are in fact Japanese Tits.

647. Japanese Tit

Sep 19, Chiang Dao, Thailand

Most of today was spent birding various locations above the checkpoint on the road to Muang Kong checking different habitats at various altitudes.

648. Puff-throated Babbler
649. Blue-throated Barbet
650. Eastern Jungle Crow
651. Olive-backed Pipit
652. Great Barbet
653. Indochinese Cuckooshrike
654. Brown-cheeked Fulvetta

655. Eurasian Jay
656. Green Cochoa

After leaving Chiang Dao it was time to head back to Chiang Mai. Just outside Chiang Dao I stopped for a quick check of some paddy fields and added

657. Oriental Skylark

That proved the last new bird for the year on this trip. In total 221 species were seen for the week.

Sep 30, Lower Pierce Reservoir

Back in Singapore and did a little owling around Lower Pierce Reservoir.

658. Buffy Fish Owl

Last edited:
Oct 3, Pulau Ubin

I spent the morning looking for migrants and didn't find very many. However did get my first Violet Cuckoo for a couple of years.

659. Violet Cuckoo

Oct 10, Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve, Singapore

Headed out for an afternoon looking at all the visiting waders and picked up 3 new birds for 2009.

660. Curlew Sandpiper
661. Little Ringed Plover
662. Broad-billed Sandpiper

Also of note was my first Saltwater Crocodile for 3 years which was sunning itself with a flock of uninterested Whimbrels.

Oct 20, Dairy Farm Nature Park

My first visit to this new park which opened last month which backs onto Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. Starting to get more migrants passing through and picked up two rare passage migrants in a Grey-streaked Flycatcher and a Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher.

Besides curious to see the new park the other reason for going is that the long abandoned quarry here is home to several Little Grebe's - a bird that before today wasn't on my Singapore list!

663. Little Grebe
664. Grey-streaked Flycatcher

Attachments

• bandedWoodpecker.jpg
    bandedWoodpecker.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 73
  • brownChestedJungleFlycatcher.jpg
    brownChestedJungleFlycatcher.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 86
  • lineatedBarbet.jpg
    lineatedBarbet.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 81
Nov 11, Singapore

Walking to the bus stop today to go to work and some insistent calling from a tree eventually got me on to a juvenile Little Bronze Cuckoo - even with the calling was difficult to spot until its foster parent, a Golden-bellied Gerygone, gave it away by flying in and feeding it.

665. Little Bronze Cuckoo

Last edited:
Nov 12, Bedok, Singapore

Not a new bird for 2009 but a new bird for Singapore were two immature Greater Spotted Eagles riding a thermal.

This is now my 200th Singapore bird for 2009 and 282nd on my Singapore lifelist.

Nov 15, Pulau Ubin

Seem to be doing well with new birds for my Singapore lifelist at the moment with migrating raptors. Picked up my 283rd Singapore bird in the form of a Grey-faced Buzzard.

Also added to my 2009 Singapore list were Whiskered Tern and White-rumped Munia. Bringing the 2009 SG total to 203.

Dec 1, Bedok, Singapore

Went for a stroll at lunch time to a (very) small area of undeveloped land near the Bedok train(MRT) station which is basically an area of grass with plenty of tall trees - but since its not called a park you won't see anyone else walking through it!

When crossing the road before going into this area was surprised by a flock of pigeons and mynas followed by a low flying Common Kestrel at high speed chasing them all. The Kestrel is a rare winter visitor and I've only seen them in SG before out at Changi Cove which is not a residential area.

666. Common Kestrel

Once into the trees it was pretty quiet except for a single tree which had 3 Asian Brown, 1 Yellow-rumped and 1 Mugimaki Flycatcher. All winter visitors and the latter the first for 2009.

667. Mugimaki Flycatcher

Sep 15, an update from Doi Inathon

Somehow I'd failed to tag an image taken at Doi Inathon in Sept with an ID and just noticed. Since I wasn't certain of the id I posted in the ID thread and thanks to Dalat got a confirmation of Yellow-browed Tit

668. Yellow-browed Tit

Attachments

• _DSC0179.jpg
    _DSC0179.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 73
Dec 19, Singapore Botanical Gardens

Made it to the gardens today to check out the current star, a Malayan Night Heron which is a rare winter visitor to Singapore.

669. Malayan Night Heron

Attachments

• malayanNightHeron.jpg
    malayanNightHeron.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back